Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Yep, working for me. It sees and streams to both of my airport expresses.

V4eqU.png

fanta

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2011
Does that mean that you can now stream all audio to AIRPORT EXPRESS? Is there still the same delay of about 2 seconds like in previous uses?

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
I am very much interested in that too.
On an iOS device when I watch a video posted on facebook it opens the youtube app and the audio plays perfectly synced through my airport express. Does it work similarly in Mountain Lion when I watch a youtube video in Safari or chrome? (I use Chrome, so support only for Safari would be useless for me)

Hope somebody will try this. I tried to install ML to my 8GB USB flash drive, but it didn't work. I guess the flash drive is too small :(

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
For the love of God I can not make my computer see any of my two Airport Expresses. I've installed Mountain Lion on an external Firewire disk of my 2.4 C2D Mac Mini (mid 2010), so probably the hardware requirements for Airplay Display Mirroring and Airplay sound output only have been set exactly the same. Unfortunately I have no computer with a CoreWhatever processor and Firewire to try it out.

So, to anyone who got it working - what are your CPU specs?

Since expecting the same firepower for the sound-only feature as for the full live video is just plain silly, I hope somebody at Apple will iron it out and make the Airplay functionality distinguish between sound and video...

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
For the love of God I can not make my computer see any of my two Airport Expresses. I've installed Mountain Lion on an external Firewire disk of my 2.4 C2D Mac Mini (mid 2010), so probably the hardware requirements for Airplay Display Mirroring and Airplay sound output only have been set exactly the same. Unfortunately I have no computer with a CoreWhatever processor and Firewire to try it out.

So, to anyone who got it working - what are your CPU specs?

Since expecting the same firepower for the sound-only feature as for the full live video is just plain silly, I hope somebody at Apple will iron it out and make the Airplay functionality distinguish between sound and video...

I'd love to answer your question, but I have absolutely no idea what you said.

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
I'd love to answer your question, but I have absolutely no idea what you said.

He said he can't see his Airport Express in ML (for Airplay Mirroring obviously) and he is wondering whether the reason for this is that his machine is running on an "old" Core2Duo processor and not on a Core-i-processor.

Anyway, did someone try to play a youtube video in chrome and have the sound transmitted to an Airport Express?

fskaffe

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
He said he can't see his Airport Express in ML (for Airplay Mirroring obviously) and he is wondering whether the reason for this is that his machine is running on an "old" Core2Duo processor and not on a Core-i-processor.

Anyway, did someone try to play a youtube video in chrome and have the sound transmitted to an Airport Express?

I have the same problem. I have no difficulties transmitting audio via iTunes, but i don't have the option to transmit system sound via Airplay.

Maybe it's because my Airport Express doesn't have 802.11n functionality?

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

fskaffe said:

I have the same problem. I have no difficulties transmitting audio via iTunes, but i don't have the option to transmit system sound via Airplay.

Maybe it's because my Airport Express doesn't have 802.11n functionality?

What processor do you have? Core2Duo or Core-iX?
And isn't the a knowledge page about these new features on apple's developers page?

fskaffe

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What processor do you have? Core2Duo or Core-iX?
And isn't the a knowledge page about these new features on apple's developers page?

I have 13" mid 2010 Macbook Pro, so it's a C2D

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland

Thanks, I didn't know my English is THAT bad.
Yes. Apparently any kind of systemwide Airplay (sound and/or video) expects a Core-i. This is just plain silly, since my iTunes work flawlessly transmitting sound to my AE's.

There is, but it only covers screen Airplay Mirroring regarding the specs of the computer.

fskaffe

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
Thanks, I didn't know my English is THAT bad.
Yes. Apparently any kind of systemwide Airplay (sound and/or video) expects a Core-i. This is just plain silly, since my iTunes work flawlessly transmitting sound to my AE's.

You sure about that? The first time i installed ML i saw the option to play audio via Airplay in System Settings, but now there's no option.
You sure it isn't just a bug in ML?

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
For what it's worth, I have a c2d proc and I have the option to stream to both my Airport Expresses. They are both of the 802.11n variety though...

onocentaur

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
I have a question about streaming to Airport Express from Mountain Lion when the audio output of the Airport is connected via optical: can you still use the system volume control in this situation? (I ask because in the past I have used the optical output of a mac mini and the system volume became greyed out, although iTunes volume control still worked.)

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Yes - you can stream audio to a very old Airport Express. No it does not sync the sound when you play audio. Performance is almost identical to using iTunes or Airfoil. Unlike Airfoil, you can't stream the audio on an app-per-app basis.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
Do you need the newest Airport Express to stream music from Youtube without delay or is the previous n-version ok?

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
Just hold down the Option key and then click the volume icon and your devices will shop up there.

You, sir, are a bleeping genius!
I switch audio devices all the time (I record music but also use my audio interfaces for music playback) and I never knew that worked that way!
Bravo for saving me a trip to system preferences!

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
For what it's worth, I have a c2d proc and I have the option to stream to both my Airport Expresses. They are both of the 802.11n variety though...

Awesome. Looks like my 2010 C2D mini (same machine as the guy above me) will get this feature then. I have a wireless N AirPort Express (previous model) plugged into my stereo in my room.

Wouldn't you think that this AirPlaying audio feature would see any AirPlay device, though? If it could, I could stream audio to my speakers, and another computer in my room for surround sound. :cool:

Can you stream audio to multiple AirPlay devices, or only one at a time? If it is not limited to a single device, there could be a lot of cool stuff to do with this feature. :D

timbck2

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2008
I'm having problems with Airplay from iTunes after updating to Mountain Lion yesterday. Before the update (with Lion) I was able to play sound to an Airport Express flawlessly from iTunes. Now, with the same hardware, same network, nothing else has changed besides Lion -> ML, I get "stutter" (it skips or pauses every 2-3 seconds). My partner's Mac, which is still running Lion, also still works flawlessly. Any ideas?

I didn't know about the system-wide Airplay feature in Mountain Lion, I'll have to give that a try to see if it makes any difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.