Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:10 PM   #1
kasakka
macrumors 65816

iPhone 4, stuck SIM card and how to get it out

So apparently Apple has way too tight tolerances for the tray that holds the sim card. My perfectly ordinary micro-SIM card is about 0.2mm thicker than the tray and when I tried to get it out, it was stuck. No matter what I did I couldn't get it out.

What I finally did was unscrew the two small screws next to the dock connector. After this slide the back of the phone off by pushing it up towards the power switch and headphone jack. Then push a bit on the logic board near the SIM card tray. Voila, SIM card removed without any serious disassembly.

If you put the SIM back it's likely to get stuck again so keep that small screwdriver handy if you plan to take out the SIM again. I really hope Apple fixes this for the iPhone 5.
kasakka is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:46 PM   #2
camardelle
macrumors 6502

Just curious. Why did you need to remove the sim card?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:12 AM   #3
kasakka
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by camardelle View Post
Just curious. Why did you need to remove the sim card?
I'm going abroad soon and planning to get a prepaid card there so I can use data connections for reasonable prices. I have an unlocked model.
kasakka is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:42 AM   #4
camardelle
macrumors 6502

That makes sense. Have a good time abroad!
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:34 PM   #5
alexbreen
macrumors newbie

Genius Bar :D

Go to your apple store and schedule an apointment at the genius bar, i did this and the guy was able to replace it for free.
alexbreen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Tags
iphone 4, sim, sim card, stuck