Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reuters reports that the dispute over the iPad trademark in China has taken an interesting turn, with Proview Technology filing suit against Apple in the United States over alleged deception related to the deal between the two companies.

proview_logo.jpg

Apple set up a dummy corporation known as IP Application Development Ltd (IPAD) to conduct negotiations with Proview over the trademark back in 2009, and Proview's suit alleges that Apple's efforts to keep its identity secret amounted to fraud.
In its filing, Proview alleged lawyers for IPAD repeatedly said it would not be competing with the Chinese firm, and refused to say why they needed the trademark.

Those representations were made "with the intent to defraud and induce the plaintiffs to enter into the agreement," Proview said in the filing dated February 17, requesting an unspecified amount of damages.
The use of dummy corporations is not particularly unusual in business negotiations, with companies sometimes seeking to keep their identities secret as they work to acquire intellectual property and other assets in support of products under development. By keeping their identities secret, high-profile companies hope to avoid having their plans become public while also looking to strike more favorable deals with companies who think they are dealing with a small business rather than a deep-pocketed industry leader.

MacRumors discovered in the weeks leading up to the introduction of the original iPad in January 2010 that Apple had used a similar dummy corporation with a nearly identical name of IP Application Development LLC to register its own iPad trademarks.

Apple claims that its IPAD dummy corporation purchased the rights to the iPad trademark from Proview in ten countries back in December 2009. Proview has claimed that the transaction did not include the Chinese rights, and the two companies are currently facing off in a number of Chinese courts over the matter. A Hong Kong court ruled last year that Proview and several of its subsidiaries and associated companies had conspired to extort millions of dollars of Apple's by refusing to turn over the Chinese rights to the trademark, but Chinese courts have in several cases sided with Proview.

Article Link: Proview Sues Apple in U.S. Over Alleged Deception in iPad Trademark Purchase

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Huh?

Companies are not obligated to explain why they want to buy the trademarks and if Proview had doubts, they could've say no to the deals.

Also, Proview had no tablets, so Apple is not competing against them.

This is just a scare tactic to try to get Apple to pay up.

peteullo

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Scranton, PA
I can't believe this company just won't give up already. There is no way the US court will penalize its most valuable company for a company that is near bankrupt and from a foreign country.

maclancer

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Good Luck Proview, you will need it... lol

maclancer

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

the iPad trademark has been bought originally from Fujitsu who owns the rights worldwide. I don't know why Proview is wasting their time.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002

the iPad trademark has been bought originally from Fuji who owns the rights worldwide. I don't know why Proview is wasting their time.

So what is the deal? Who actually owns the trademark?

Quicklite

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
Looks like Proview is putting down very serious lawyer fund, and must expect disproportionate settlement from Apple. One might ask whether they would be in better financial position, had they been as keen in running their ventures.

:)

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I can't believe this company just won't give up already. There is no way the US court will penalize its most valuable company for a company that is near bankrupt and from a foreign country.

Haha, it's OUR turn to ignore foreign lawsuits. Seriously, any foreign website gets off the hook with these things.

maclancer

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA

Sedulous said:
maclancer said:
the iPad trademark has been bought originally from Fuji who owns the rights worldwide. I don't know why Proview is wasting their time.

So what is the deal? Who actually owns the trademark?

Apple bought the trademark from Fujitsu

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
This is like the definition of chutzpah: when a child murders his or her own parent with an axe and then enters a plea for mercy with the court on account of being an orphan.

Proview, please roll over and play dead.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
"In its filing, Proview alleged lawyers for IPAD repeatedly said it would not be competing with the Chinese firm, and refused to say why they needed the trademark."

That's very strange for a company that did this :

proview_ipad-480x480.png

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
This coming from a company in a country that doesn't believe in copyright laws. They believe the law of "If you can make a product for less money than another company then you have the complete rights to do so".

Consider that you can buy chinese scooters made with exact Honda engine replicas.
Consider you can buy knock off Ipads, iPhones, macbooks etc that are all breaking copyright laws.

I hope that proview is sucessful in stopping exports of the Ipad from China because this means that Apple will stop producing them in China. I would rather see them produced in the U.S. but i doubt that will happen anytime soon.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Joe The Dragon said:
well in the UK apple will have a hard time having a tv named itv

Luckily apple doesn't make a product called "iTV"

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
well in the UK apple will have a hard time having a tv named itv

Joe, I will submit that you don't know that. After all, England's flag is Saint George's Cross. You do know what he did to dragons, don't you?

The England broadcast brand is ITV. Apple's current brand is Apple TV, but I don't see why the distinction between iTV and ITV would not be sufficient.

Thank goodness I am not a trademark lawyer.

MonkeyBrainz

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2012
Joe, I will submit that you don't know that. After all, England's flag is Saint George's Cross. You do know what he did to dragons, don't you?

The England broadcast brand is ITV. Apple's current brand is Apple TV, but I don't see why the distinction between iTV and ITV would not be sufficient.

Thank goodness I am not a trademark lawyer.

This very ordeal is a dispute of IPAD and iPad.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
So this common practice is deception... and yet despite what the Hong Kong court decided in Apple’s favor, it’s NOT deception for Proview (the parent company) to sell the trademark and state that it included China, then have their own subsidiary (also called Proview) magically disagree, two years later, with the deal the parent company made. I see :p

(I wonder if the name was coincidence, or an intended Apple rip-off, albeit a legal one? I believe Proview trademarked iPAD in 1998, same year the iMac came out—first of Apple's iName products. And ProView's iPAD all-in-one, as Peace posted above, looks suspiciously like that first iMac too! Look at the holes and handles. None of which seems very relevant today, but it would be ironic if the whole thing started with Proview trying to make a knock-off iMac and get it confused on both style and name with the real thing!)

Last edited:

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.