Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:35 PM   #1
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Mono to Stereo in Garageband.. really Confusing

I have Garageband 11, and I have an old mono recording of John Denver. Audio plays in the left channel only.. It was recorded that way. Anyways I want to get the audio to be fed from both the left and right channels. The audio was from a video. I imported the video into Garageband, and deleted the video, and I'm left with the audio like I want to be.

Its technically not Stereo, but two channel Mono. How do I do this?

Also if I remember right, I used to be able to select part of the audio from the bottom part (double click on the track to bring this advance editor up) and I could select sections of the track and cut them out. Now when I try to select part of it, this FlexTime editing stuff comes up. How do I just select a part of the track to delete instead of using Split every time?

Thanks!
-Nick
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

Garageband has a "left/right" control for its tracks, does it not?

Can just tinkering with that produce the desired results?

If not, try this:
- Create a second track in Garageband (empty for the moment)
- Duplicate the audio of the first track, then move it to the second track
- Now, use the "L/R" control in each track, manipulate it until one track "balances out" against the other, left-to-right-wise.
- Then, export the "mono mixed" track, either as mp3 or aiff.

If this doesn't work, you might try downloading the free "Audacity" app. It may have a tool that can do the conversion you need (which I think would be from "left" to "stereo").
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:12 PM   #3
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
The recording was made with JUST the left channel. The balance control wouldn't change anything.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:04 PM   #4
mchalebk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
I have Garageband 11, and I have an old mono recording of John Denver. Audio plays in the left channel only.. It was recorded that way. Anyways I want to get the audio to be fed from both the left and right channels. The audio was from a video. I imported the video into Garageband, and deleted the video, and I'm left with the audio like I want to be.

Its technically not Stereo, but two channel Mono. How do I do this?
I’m not sure how to do this in Garageband. If there’s a way to turn a stereo track into two mono tracks, I missed it. However, Audacity (which is freeware) can do this. You can split the stereo track into two mono tracks, then delete the empty one.

Quote:
Also if I remember right, I used to be able to select part of the audio from the bottom part (double click on the track to bring this advance editor up) and I could select sections of the track and cut them out. Now when I try to select part of it, this FlexTime editing stuff comes up. How do I just select a part of the track to delete instead of using Split every time?
I’m not at my Mac (which is home), so can’t remember the exact details, but you can still double-click on a track to split it. I think you have to click on the lower half of the waveform to avoid the FlexTime stuff.
mchalebk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:30 PM   #5
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
Iím not sure how to do this in Garageband. If thereís a way to turn a stereo track into two mono tracks, I missed it. However, Audacity (which is freeware) can do this. You can split the stereo track into two mono tracks, then delete the empty one.

Iím not at my Mac (which is home), so canít remember the exact details, but you can still double-click on a track to split it. I think you have to click on the lower half of the waveform to avoid the FlexTime stuff.
I just want to convert mono into stereo. Not the other way.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 01:35 PM   #6
ghellquist
macrumors regular

Split first

Now,
Garageband was purposedly simplified in order to make it useable for normal people. My favourite programs all handle this without any problems at all, but they did rake me a lotof time to learn.

And making a stereo signal into mono using only left channel and panning that into middle is not quite the standard stuff.

My best guess is to use another program to divide the stereo file onto one left and right. Then import omly the left file and pan that on the middle.

There might be other ways, but alas, Garageband is not my forte.

Gunnar
ghellquist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 02:27 PM   #7
mchalebk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I just want to convert mono into stereo. Not the other way.
You misunderstand. You do not have a mono track, you have a stereo track where only one channel has useful information. The first thing you need to do is split the stereo track and get rid of the useless channel.

As to whether you want mono or stereo with two identical tracks is splitting hairs. The end result will be the same.
mchalebk is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store