Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Digital Reader points to reports that Apple's iBooks Digital Rights Management (DRM) copy protection has been cracked for the first time:
Reports are coming in today that the latest version of Requiem, an app that removes Fairplay DRM from music and videos sold via iTunes, will now also remove the DRM from iBooks ebooks.
The news is notable in that it's the first time that iBooks DRM has been circumvented. This would allow iBooks downloaded from iTunes to be used on other platforms besides Apple's iBooks reader.

Apple's DRM for music and movies have been circumvented in the past, and resulted in a cat and mouse game of updates to iTunes to disable these hacks. Apple will likely respond in a similar fashion to this hack.

Article Link: Apple iBooks Copy Protection Cracked for First Time

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
You are welcome to discuss the merits of DRM and circumventing it, but please no links to such software, etc...

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
You can't read iBook on your desktop. Not even Mac OS X can read iBooks. This is the main reason I stopped buying ebooks from iBooks.

Now I can. Thanks "stupid pirates"

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

One legitimate benefit is that this would maybe allow you to read your own book that you purchased on the computer instead of just iDevices.

Edit: ah beat me to it.
Also, I wonder if this would allow you to pull up the textbook in iBooks author. Isnt the textbook format kind of unique in that it's likely no other ebook software will read it?

SixSlinger

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Works Perfectly

I had never heard of Requiem until yesterday when this news hit. It works perfectly on movies and tv shows as well. Nice to finally OWN my stuff!!

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
What for?
I understand that its a kind of sport for hackers, but for end-user...

Pirates? I dont see anything related to pirating. Its just hacking formats.

Oh I dunno...
  • Reading on a Mac
  • Reading on Kindle
  • Able to copy and paste from iBooks
  • Reading on any other ereader
  • etc...

:D

andyprit

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've never understood DRM, it's premise seems to be to penalise those who purchase content legally, whilst pirates still get their more flexible content for free.

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you have an iOS device why would you want to sit and read an iBook on your Mac? It would seem to me the better user experience is on an iOS device.

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
Now is a better time than ever for them to include iBooks on the Mac App Store anyway... They should include it when Mountain Lion comes out, it could compete against the Kindle.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Seems a bit limited in that the reader must support everything that is supported in iBooks, for plain text it wouldn't make a difference I guess but..

root42

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2011
One reason for DRM free stuff: Since Lion I am using Plex as a media solution on my MacBook Pro, because Frontrow got kicked. But Plex can't play my DRM'ed iTunes videos. So obviously I would love to be able to remove the DRM. Lots of music from iTunes is already DRM free and people are buying it. So it seems that DRM is not necessary for a commercial success. I would guess that the same goes for movies. Of course, movies are a different beast: there are albums that I listen to almost daily. I wouldn't watch a movie more than 1x a year for example. Plus movies are generally rather expensive in the iTunes store. So while I'd like to see all media be DRM free, I guess Apple will have a hard time convincing the movie industry to go along with this.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
This is why I never purchase content from Apple-- I like to own my stuff without stipulations as to how my stuff can or can't be used.

This is a move in the right direction-- until it gets blocked of course.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you have an iOS device why would you want to sit and read an iBook on your Mac? It would seem to me the better user experience is on an iOS device.

There are many factors, one being battery, other being screensize (iphone/ipod) and yet another being, theres no reason to limit peoples uses.

mpress03

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Isn't Calibre already able to do this? I haven't used it but I thought I read that it could.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.