Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HandySam

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
There aren't Macs with USB 3 hardware so I guess no until new Macs with Ivy Bridge and most likely native USB 3 arrive.

LiesForTheLiars

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
You need hardware to support that, not an OS. Ivy Bridge will bring it over.

The current Macs support it. Apple simply refuses to include it in lieu of Thunderbolt. I have no idea why as USB 3.0 is completely backwards compatible. You can plug any USB 2.0 device to the 3.0 and it'll work all the same. Makes no sense for them not to use it since everyone could still use their devices.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
The current Macs support it. Apple simply refuses to include it in lieu of Thunderbolt. I have no idea why as USB 3.0 is completely backwards compatible. You can plug any USB 2.0 device to the 3.0 and it'll work all the same. Makes no sense for them not to use it since everyone could still use their devices.

That's incorrect. The current Macs do not have USB 3 support because Sandy Bridge does not have native USB 3 support. Ivy Bridge will have USB 3.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
That's incorrect. The current Macs do not have USB 3 support because Sandy Bridge does not have native USB 3 support. Ivy Bridge will have USB 3.
They fit the massive Thunderbolt controller on the PCB and yet not a much smaller USB 3.0 one.

LiesForTheLiars

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011

You can add an expansion card in the Express slot and drivers provided by LaCie if you want USB 3.0. Apple has been fully capable of making 3.0 available, they have just chosen not to do so.

You'd need to add a card or an external adapter since there's no chip built-in in Sandy Bridge.

That is not what I meant. Apple could very well include USB 3.0 if they wanted to.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
There are 2 parts to this.

The first is hardware support. And that is probably coming with Ivy Bridge based Macs and hopefully the next Mac Pro whatever processor it uses.

The other part of this is the device drivers. Does the current preview of Mountain Lion have USB 3.0 device drivers in it?

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I love it. I mean, it really works perfectly. I had the $50 Newer Tech one that was only 2 eSATA ports, and you had to reboot to see a drive. With this one, both eSATA and USB 3.0 works hot plug and speedy as a cuss.

LiesForTheLiars

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
I love it. I mean, it really works perfectly. I had the $50 Newer Tech one that was only 2 eSATA ports, and you had to reboot to see a drive. With this one, both eSATA and USB 3.0 works hot plug and speedy as a cuss.

I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

funckdren

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
I just discovered this thread, and am still a little unclear. Can someone confirm that they are successfully running the new CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 Pro with Snow Leopard 10.6.8?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.