Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:54 PM   #1
KPGills
macrumors newbie

iMessage strange problem...receiving same message on two totally different phones

Hi All,

Am not sure if anyone can help me with this or if anyone has any ideas.

I have an iPhone 4, my brother has an iPhone 4S and his wife an iPhone 3g. All of them, I believe, have iOS 5.0.1 on them.

We all use iMessage. Yesterday evening every time I sent an iMessage to my brother, it would also be received by his wife! I am in my brothers contact list as "brother" and was showing as that on his, but on his wires iPhone it was coming up as "Joe Bloggs" (i.e. my full name).

I was using the iMessage beta on my Macbook air as well to send the messages, but does anyone have any idea why messages sent to my brother would also be received by his wife?

Does the iTunes account they are linked to have anything to do with it?

Thanks a lot.
KPGills is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:13 PM   #2
dickdaney
macrumors regular

You're brother and his wife are probably sharing an apple id for an iTunes account. When you send a message to his apple id (email) it goes to every idevice that is set to use that apple id. He needs to fix that on his end. He and his wife need to each get separate apple id's to use for imessge that are different from the one they use for iTunes and the app store.
dickdaney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:20 PM   #3
thewitt
macrumors 68000

It's the iCloud account, not the iTunes account - though these can be confusing.

iCloud accounts need to be different for iMessage to send to different devices. You can still share an iTunes account for apps and music.
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:50 AM   #4
KPGills
macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. Will ask them to get different iCloud and apple ids

Keith
KPGills is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone