Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Audino1028

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
My new MacBook Pro works nearly perfectly fine, and Safari works well, but YouTube videos are not working correctly. When I attempt to view a video on YouTube, the screen remains black, and the loading symbol appears in the middle, but the video never actually loads. However, the videos work when they are either embedded on another site or if I am viewing them directly from a member's channel. I was told on Yahoo Answers to check my download speed, and they said it should be at least 5 MBps, but I had over 16 MBps, so that can't be the problem. The YouTube videos also work on Google Chrome, but not Safari. Please help?

Audino1028

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
I have the latest flash player, and it still doesn't work.

Another strange thing I've noticed: If I restart Safari, the first video I watch on YouTube usually works. But none of the ones after that work.

daniel-b

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2012
I have exactly the same problem on my Mac Mini. All software is up to date as far as I know.

Youtube does work ok in Firefox, but not in Safari.

Audino1028

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
I have exactly the same problem on my Mac Mini. All software is up to date as far as I know.

Youtube does work ok in Firefox, but not in Safari.

That's very strange, but at least I know I'm not alone now. How long have you had this problem?

igator210

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
It might not be directly related, but I had issue with Safari and YouTube because I was auto enrolled in their HTML5 trial. http://www.youtube.com/html5

I unenrolled in the trial and most of the time Safari now plays nice with YouTube. I think its still a bit buggy, but its better.

Arcadeez

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
How did you get this fixed?
My Safari is v5.1.3 and Flash is the latest version.
Same as all above, Firefox works in Youtube, but Safari doesn't work in most of the time.

Any idea? Thx!

Beachy64

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
Been having same problem since I bought my new computer a few months ago. tried latest updates etc, You tube videos would not play, even in 32 bit mode.

Found this tonight: Clicktoflash at https://extensions.apple.com/

Installed it, and it appears to have solved the problem!

dnmurphy

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
North Norfolk, England
Been having same problem since I bought my new computer a few months ago. tried latest updates etc, You tube videos would not play, even in 32 bit mode.

Found this tonight: Clicktoflash at https://extensions.apple.com/

Installed it, and it appears to have solved the problem!

I tried the remove form HTML5 which didn't work, but installing the extension worked nicely, thanks for the advice.

Safari had been working fine for ages, anyone know what changed to suddenly stop it working?

KLinPA

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
PA
Tried it all and it's still not working

My friend is having this issue on his iMac.

What we've done (previous fixes on other threads)
*flash is up to date
*removed all website data
*checked HTML5 trial -not enrolled
*Looked for nc-pcc-dir-shockwave plug in - not there
*changed Safari to 32 bit mode
*Installed clicktoflash extension - no change

Maybe we didn't quit/relaunch safari after performing a step. I honestly can't remember. But the computer has been shut down and powered on since we tried everything with no change.

We tried Chrome which had the same issue. He didn't want to try Firefox but maybe I can change his mind.

Everything did work correctly in a brand new user.

Thoughts on next steps? I appreciate the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.