Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seans419

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
I purchased a 16gb iPad 2 about 6 months ago, and I absolutely love it. The only drawback is that when I purchased it, I didn't realize that the apps were much bigger and took up a lot more space! I had an iPhone 3gs with 16gb and was able to keep most of my music, tons of apps as well as pictures and etc, but I quickly figured out that this is not the case with the iPad. I immediately regretted getting the 16gb as soon as I started getting the apps I wanted. I don't have room for my pictures OR any videos! I've done a little bit of research, and I have seen that it is possible to add a "camera connector" in which you can use and SD card for pictures. I was just curious - Since my iPad IS JAILBROKEN on iOS 5, would it be possible to use storage from an SD card for more than just pictures? I would really like to keep movies as well as apps on it as also. Could I do this with the SD Card Connected somehow?

One more question - I have two old iPods that don't work anymore, one has 16 gb, and one has 40 gb of memory. I have plenty of experience taking iPhones apart for repairs (replaced several digitizers, LCD's, batteries in iPhones and iPod touches) If I take the memory out of the iPods that don't work and solder them into my iPad, would that memory become available? That's what I would really like to do. I understand that the memory in the iPods are soldered into them, but the iPods are old and do not work anyways - I am just worried about voiding the warranty on my iPad as well as possible tearing it up. However, if anyone has attempted this, I would really like to know. Why wouldn't it work?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I purchased a 16gb iPad 2 about 6 months ago, and I absolutely love it. The only drawback is that when I purchased it, I didn't realize that the apps were much bigger and took up a lot more space! I had an iPhone 3gs with 16gb and was able to keep most of my music, tons of apps as well as pictures and etc, but I quickly figured out that this is not the case with the iPad. I immediately regretted getting the 16gb as soon as I started getting the apps I wanted. I don't have room for my pictures OR any videos! I've done a little bit of research, and I have seen that it is possible to add a "camera connector" in which you can use and SD card for pictures. I was just curious - Since my iPad IS JAILBROKEN on iOS 5, would it be possible to use storage from an SD card for more than just pictures? I would really like to keep movies as well as apps on it as also. Could I do this with the SD Card Connected somehow?

One more question - I have two old iPods that don't work anymore, one has 16 gb, and one has 40 gb of memory. I have plenty of experience taking iPhones apart for repairs (replaced several digitizers, LCD's, batteries in iPhones and iPod touches) If I take the memory out of the iPods that don't work and solder them into my iPad, would that memory become available? That's what I would really like to do. I understand that the memory in the iPods are soldered into them, but the iPods are old and do not work anyways - I am just worried about voiding the warranty on my iPad as well as possible tearing it up. However, if anyone has attempted this, I would really like to know. Why wouldn't it work?

To your first question, yes you can use ifile to store more than only the pics.
You can store large vids on your sd card and with ifile open them with goodplayer.

Second, no wont work, totally wreck your ipad, older memory with ne doesnt mix, also soldering on an ipad????

Seans419

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
To your first question, yes you can use ifile to store more than only the pics.
You can store large vids on your sd card and with ifile open them with goodplayer.

Second, no wont work, totally wreck your ipad, older memory with ne doesnt mix, also soldering on an ipad????

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I was just curious. I wouldn't even attempt to open my iPad, to be honest (Unless it was broken). Too risky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.