Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iheartford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
I've decided that I deffinetly want the MacBook pro because its faster an has the capability to play DVDs and disks.

But my question is what do I buy? I've searched craigslist and have found 2007's for a good price but then te new ones for $1500. I really do not want to spend more than $700 ish dollars. But I want something that will last and meat my needs.

Here's the breakdown... Ill be using the Mac to do regular browsing, Facebook, FaceTime/Skype, emailing, homework (Microsoft office), and most of all photo and video editing. I'm into photography but don't have any software so if I were to decide to buy some I want something that will run it properly.

Also I'm a senior in high school so heading to college...

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Personally I'd avoid an older one. If something goes wrong, they're still quite expensive to fix. Also $700 for a 2007 model is quite high. If it's a 15" people might pay that, but I wouldn't recommend it. If it's the original battery, it has probably seen quite a few cycles at this point. I've seen and experienced more problems with laptops than desktops given the amount of power cycles many of them experience. There are plenty of people who have owned these for many years without problems, but I feel that potential repair cost makes it impractical to buy one that old. I should also note that some of the old ones have really terrible displays. It varies by model. As an example older macbooks (not macbook pros, and pre unibody) had dismal displays.

$700 isn't a very large budget for a mac. They start relatively high, and I have personally seen and owned chargers that died (around $100 to replace), batteries that no longer held a charge due to age (over $100), and display problems. It's just not practical to buy an old computer unless you're really saving on it.

A refurb 13" macbook pro or a good deal from a third party reseller can be a superior option. Apple's newer displays are good for laptop displays. Just don't expect a perfect display on a laptop (because it doesn't exist, not even the expensive ips upgrades offered by a couple brands). If you're buying used, I'd research the model you decide to purchase, but I'd look for a good price on a recent model, and do your research on here. Others have purchased computers that they later discovered had water damage and other issues, so just be careful.

Iheartford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Thanks! So it's safe to say I should buy a newer version. So which one is best for my needs?

Iheartford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Thanks I appreciate it that's just a little too much for me at this time but thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.