Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

db67fm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
This has happened to me on 2 different times with 2 different apps.

When installing an app on my iPhone 4 that receives push notifications (such as word games). After the app installs the first time I run it I get a pop up window saying "Words with Friends would like to send you push notifications." Then there are 2 buttons "Don't Allow" and "Ok".

I accidentally pressed "Don't Allow". Now when I go into Settings > Notifications it says everything is on, but I still never receive notifications.

I have tried uninstalling & reinstalling. Tried rebooting. The pop up window never reappears after installing the first time.

The only thing that will allow me to receive push notifications is if I restore the iphone. But this is a hassle. Any way to start receiving push notifications after an accidental "Don't allow" press? (without restoring?)

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Have you try disable and enable push on setting ? if that didnt work maybe in the app settings theres an option , if your on ios 5 and have icloud backups enable go to: Settings - icloud - storage & backup - manage store - under "documents & data" - look for particular app - click on edit and delete all info ; after that download the app again and it should act as it was first installed with no records.

db67fm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Have you try disable and enable push on setting ? if that didnt work maybe in the app settings theres an option , if your on ios 5 and have icloud backups enable go to: Settings - icloud - storage & backup - manage store - under "documents & data" - look for particular app - click on edit and delete all info ; after that download the app again and it should act as it was first installed with no records.

Thanks for the advice but I tried that and it did not work. And I dont use iCloud.

There are many apps that ask you the first time you run them to allow notifications and I have found that i can duplicate the problem every time with all different apps. For example today I just downloaded a new free app I have never used before and I pressed don't allow. The same thing happened. I was not able to ever get push notifications to work. Even after deleting and reinstalling.

db67fm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Settings > Notifications > (App name) and then just turn it on.

That was the first thing I tried.

Even though it says its on (after completing the steps listed above) I still do not receive notifications. I also tried this on my wife's iPhone 4 and I was able to duplicate the problem after installing a app like words with friends.

Try it for yourself. Install a free app like words with friends and when prompted about push notifications press "Dont Allow". Watch what happens. You will never receive push notifications even if you change the settings..

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
That was the first thing I tried.

Even though it says its on (after completing the steps listed above) I still do not receive notifications. I also tried this on my wife's iPhone 4 and I was able to duplicate the problem after installing a app like words with friends.

Try it for yourself. Install a free app like words with friends and when prompted about push notifications press "Dont Allow". Watch what happens. You will never receive push notifications even if you change the settings..

Maybe try force quitting the app and relaunching it? Maybe the app hasn't checked that you reenabled notifications?

Perza

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2009
"The first time a push-enabled app registers for push notifications, iOS asks the user if they wish to receive notifications for that app. Once the user has responded to this alert it is not presented again unless the device is restored or the app has been uninstalled for at least a day.

If you want to simulate a first-time run of your app, you can leave the app uninstalled for a day. You can achieve the latter without actually waiting a day by setting the system clock forward a day or more, turning the device off completely, then turning the device back on."

via Stackoverflow.com

db67fm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
"The first time a push-enabled app registers for push notifications, iOS asks the user if they wish to receive notifications for that app. Once the user has responded to this alert it is not presented again unless the device is restored or the app has been uninstalled for at least a day.

If you want to simulate a first-time run of your app, you can leave the app uninstalled for a day. You can achieve the latter without actually waiting a day by setting the system clock forward a day or more, turning the device off completely, then turning the device back on."

via Stackoverflow.com

Thank you!

Waiting one day to re-install worked.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I'm having the same issue. I tried deleting, restoring as new and fast forwarding the date on the phone 2 days. Upon reinstall, I got the prompt for push notifications and selected yes, but its still not working. It was working when I downloaded the free app, just not on the paid one. Anyone else have any ideas?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm having the same issue. I tried deleting, restoring as new and fast forwarding the date on the phone 2 days. Upon reinstall, I got the prompt for push notifications and selected yes, but its still not working. It was working when I downloaded the free app, just not on the paid one. Anyone else have any ideas?

I believe that you actually need to wait a day, not just change the date on your phone. I believe that the day needs to elapse on Apple's servers.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
still nothing. however, if i log into a different account, the sounds work normally. theres something wrong with my account. but when im logged into my ipad mini, they work just fine.

just my iphone and ipod are messed up. i dont get it.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Did you try powering off your device. Sometimes the old data file is in the cache and needs to be purged to get it out of ram. A power off is generally the easiest way to do this. I'd force quit it out of the task bar before you shut down. Just in case having it in there even with the app gone would trigger the data file to stay in the RAM

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Did you try powering off your device. Sometimes the old data file is in the cache and needs to be purged to get it out of ram. A power off is generally the easiest way to do this. I'd force quit it out of the task bar before you shut down. Just in case having it in there even with the app gone would trigger the data file to stay in the RAM

ive done literally everything. still no notifications.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i finally found a solution to this. i contacted Zynga and they deleted my account, unassociated it with FB and everything. i then set it up again and now its working just fine.

Southpaw14

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2013
It's not iOS, it's developers not knowing what the ***** they're doing and failing to implement notifications properly.

Had a similar issue with my girlfriends phone trying to save photos from the Backgrounds app to her photo library. But I accidentally hit "Do Not Allow" cause her phone was new and i was used to telling her to do that. Tried deleting the app, redownloading, clearing the cache in the quicklaunch.

Nothing worked. Went into Settings - General - Reset Location and Privacy

and it worked, opened the app and it asked me again!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Had a similar issue with my girlfriends phone trying to save photos from the Backgrounds app to her photo library. But I accidentally hit "Do Not Allow" cause her phone was new and i was used to telling her to do that. Tried deleting the app, redownloading, clearing the cache in the quicklaunch.

Nothing worked. Went into Settings - General - Reset Location and Privacy

and it worked, opened the app and it asked me again!!
Unfortunately it's not implemented and/or working quite the same way when it comes to notifications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.