Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:39 AM   #1
EarthNeutron
Banned

How to completely remove cydia/restore from backup?

Ok, so... is there a way of completely removing cydia and restoring from a jailbreak backup on a vanilla iPhone without getting the "Other" section full of jailbroken data?

My strategy has been like this so far: deleting all the cydia apps/tweeks from cydia package removal, backing up, restoring from backup. However, I still had around 1gb of "Other data" which I believe is jailbroken data.

Any thoughts?
EarthNeutron is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:24 AM   #2
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

restore to stock firmware afterwards restore your backup.
iPad 2 WIFI iOS 8.0 GM
TriJetHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:38 AM   #3
EarthNeutron
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriJetHero View Post
restore to stock firmware afterwards restore your backup.
Haven't you read my post?? I'm not a dumb *******... I know how to restore from a backup...I ASKED if there was a possibility of completely getting rid of cydia packages...cause a SIMPLE restore will still carry over some cydia packages..

gosh...
EarthNeutron is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:43 AM   #4
LiesForTheLiars
Banned

It isn't jailbroken data. The Restore gets rid of all that data. I had that much "other" data on my stock phone before jailbreaking it. Most of that is probably just the OS.
LiesForTheLiars is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 06:21 AM   #5
EarthNeutron
Banned

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiesForTheLiars
It isn't jailbroken data. The Restore gets rid of all that data. I had that much "other" data on my stock phone before jailbreaking it. Most of that is probably just the OS.
By restore I meant to say restore from backup.
EarthNeutron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 06:29 AM   #6
LiesForTheLiars
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthNeutron View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Oh, my bad. I suppose you could Restore then re-jailbreak. That's what I did when I was amassing large amounts of crap from needless JB installs. Other than that I don't know.
LiesForTheLiars is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:42 AM   #7
George Knighton
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to George Knighton
Quote:
I have 0.57 GB of "Other" after a complete reset, installation of 5.0.1 and restoration from a backup. I'm not sure what "Other" is, but I played around with Cydia quite a bit and I cannot imagine that this is data related to my former jailbreak.

Do you mind if I ask you why you want to do this?

I just got rid of my jailbreak on both iPhone and iPad because I was running across too many little bugs. Some of these bugs would cause the iPhone to restart.

There used to be a time I'd talk to developers to work out all these things, and I'd deal with the tweaking and updates required to keep a jailbroken iPhone and iPad running along. But nowadays they're pretty much mission critical and the jailbreaks for iOS 5, while overtly reliable, do not necessarily indicate a full reliability of the applications we will want to buy from Cydia.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:43 AM   #8
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

Quote:
Haven't you read my post?? I'm not a dumb *******... I know how to restore from a backup...I ASKED if there was a possibility of completely getting rid of cydia packages...cause a SIMPLE restore will still carry over some cydia packages..

gosh...
Some much for the thank you, good luck
iPad 2 WIFI iOS 8.0 GM
TriJetHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:29 PM   #9
Resevdog
macrumors regular

Maybe I'm confused, but I think a way to accomplish what you want would be to backup via iCloud. Since that backup ignores JB stuff completely (I think), you could then do a full restore via itunes, the sync to the iCloud backup. Not knowing the depth that an iCloud backup does (assumed it was basic settings, apps, photos and documents for valid apps) would that not purge the JB stuff?

Am I mistaken?
Resevdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:42 PM   #10
kre62
macrumors 65816

OP, just go into cydia, go to packages section, and remove all your packages. Then go back in and remove Cydia (same process). It'll remove, then back up and restore.

An easy way to remove most packages at once is to remove mobilesubstrate.
kre62 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 06:11 AM   #11
aliensarecool
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiesForTheLiars
Quote:

Oh, my bad. I suppose you could Restore then re-jailbreak. That's what I did when I was amassing large amounts of crap from needless JB installs. Other than that I don't know.
I want to restore. I wanna start from scratch like out of the box but dont wanna Los my contacts. How can I save them to my pc then put them back on
aliensarecool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 08:15 AM   #12
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Restore, choose set up as new
If you intend to restore, it must be from a backup prior to when you jailbroke your device, otherwise you are correct. Bits of jailbreak junk will get placed back on phone.

Best to just skip the restore to backup, use iTunes just for the apps, music, photos, contacts, movies, books, etc

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 08:28 AM   #13
aliensarecool
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlizard
Restore, choose set up as new
If you intend to restore, it must be from a backup prior to when you jailbroke your device, otherwise you are correct. Bits of jailbreak junk will get placed back on phone.

Best to just skip the restore to backup, use iTunes just for the apps, music, photos, contacts, movies, books, etc
So if all my backups have pieces of the JB....is it possible to just take the contacts I have on my phone, restore phone as new. And put no backup back on just my contacts.
aliensarecool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:01 PM   #14
eastercat
macrumors 68040

Well, you're going to sync your contacts from an address book. You can't pick and choose, what you're going to restore from a back up. If you don't have your contacts sync'd to an address book, then do this now. On mac, it's super easy, because you have an address book included. Windows is, well, crappy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensarecool View Post
So if all my backups have pieces of the JB....is it possible to just take the contacts I have on my phone, restore phone as new. And put no backup back on just my contacts.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:51 PM   #15
iphone1994
macrumors newbie

I have no problem setting up as a new device, but how can I backup my SMS and iMessage and put them back on my phone?
iphone1994 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:54 PM   #16
boshii
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone1994 View Post
I have no problem setting up as a new device, but how can I backup my SMS and iMessage and put them back on my phone?
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/01...sage-transfer/
boshii is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks