Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogon1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
New to GB, but having real difficulty understanding 'punching-in' feature to fix mistakes

I have a Real Instrument track, I select the cycle-time region (say 4s) and 'count-in' option, I then press Record . . .play my 'fix' . . . . the program cycles back and records multiple 'takes' (mostly dead space if I sit back and wait for it to cycle 4-5 times. So I now have multiple takes in the header, Take 1 is my original with no overdub, every other 'take' is what has been recorded (so Take 2 is the overdub that I want to be superimposed on my original track). Take 2 is of course ONLY the overdubbed section, ie none of the rest of the track is included.

So how do I get the original track with the new section? . . . I thought this would happen automatically . . .surely I dont need to create a new track, do the split/join thingy? . .

Sorry, probably a very Noob question, but really struggling to understand how to make this work (I've used punch-in on multitrack recorders before, so I'm used to punching in automatically layering on top of the original track)

Hope I've explained properly!
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.