Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Before you go taking part your brand new Mac, I would recommend running for a few days to make sure the computer is working fine.

Without watching the linked video, there are 2 ways to do this, one is install ty he new disk (SSD in your case) and do an Internet Recovery.

The other way would be for you to download Lion from the Mac App Store and burn it out to DVD. And then swap your disks. There are links to how to do this in this forum. This method would let you download Lion while you're using the MBP.

And either method would create the Recovery Partition. And if you want extra protection you could create a Lion Recovery Disk using the Recovery Disk Assistant mentioned on the Internet Recovery page.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Before you go taking part your brand new Mac, I would recommend running for a few days to make sure the computer is working fine.

Without watching the linked video, there are 2 ways to do this, one is install ty he new disk (SSD in your case) and do an Internet Recovery.

The other way would be for you to download Lion from the Mac App Store and burn it out to DVD. And then swap your disks. There are links to how to do this in this forum. This method would let you download Lion while you're using the MBP.

And either method would create the Recovery Partition. And if you want extra protection you could create a Lion Recovery Disk using the Recovery Disk Assistant mentioned on the Internet Recovery page.

Yeah, I will be trying the Mac out first before buying the SSD as want to make sure I'm happy with the hi-res screen as much as anything. Struggled a little instore with the font size, but have seen ways to tweak this so hoping I'll be Ok. If I download the lion software from the app store won't I have to pay for this?

That YouTube link shows how to make a lion recover recovery on a USB drive using the lion recovery disc utility from the apple site. Is there any difference installing from a recovery disc and installing from an installation disc/app?

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
If it were me (which it obviously isn't) I'd use something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! and create a bootable clone of the drive which came with the MBP. Why do you think a fresh O/S install is needed?

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
If it were me (which it obviously isn't) I'd use something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! and create a bootable clone of the drive which came with the MBP. Why do you think a fresh O/S install is needed?

I don't have any basis for this, but have always felt that doing a fresh install is less prone to problems.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
If the machine is new, it will be a fresh install.

Yes but the whole point of the thread is that I will be swapping out the hard drive and the new one obviously won't have any OS on it. I then want to put a fresh install on the new drive. I've always thought a fresh install on a new drive is better than a cloned one.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Yes but the whole point of the thread is that I will be swapping out the hard drive and the new one obviously won't have any OS on it. I then want to put a fresh install on the new drive. I've always thought a fresh install on a new drive is better than a cloned one.
It all depends on what you've done with your system. A Mac that is only a week old won't have had time to build up junk on the disk. Now if it was a year or 2 down the road and you've done a lot of patches to the OS and upgraded applications and deleted applications, then a fresh install would be cleaner (but not necessarily neccessary with OS X).

Of course if you don't want the iLife applications on your computer, then a fresh install might be better then trying to remove all the pieces of the iLife applications.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
When I installed my SSD I used SuperDuper! to clone the drive in an external USB/SATA enclosure, swapped in the new part and carried on.

There's not really a downside to a cloned copy. However a fresh install is always a good option.

$0.02 worth.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
It all depends on what you've done with your system. A Mac that is only a week old won't have had time to build up junk on the disk. Now if it was a year or 2 down the road and you've done a lot of patches to the OS and upgraded applications and deleted applications, then a fresh install would be cleaner (but not necessarily neccessary with OS X).

Of course if you don't want the iLife applications on your computer, then a fresh install might be better then trying to remove all the pieces of the iLife applications.

Isn't iLife part of OS Lion and therefore be on the fresh install?

Edit: Just been on the Apple site and if you've got a Mac with factory installed OS X Lion the iLife apps will appear as purchases on the Mac store and you can download them again for free :)

I think I'll do the fresh install, but I'll also create a clone to use just in case.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.