Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skreb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Hi

This is my first post here. In late december I ordered a pair of Etymotic HF2's, as I needed quality earphones with high insulation to use with my ipad and ipod (5th gen. 80GB) I was really impressed with the Etymotics apart from the noise problem they developed very shortly after I started using them.

I hear noise when the earphones are connected to the ipod and when the ipod is on. The noise is very similar to pink noise and noticable even when there is a song playing. At first I thought it was tinnitus, but turned out it was not as it disappeared when I pulled off the chord from the ipod. Same noise is also present when I use the HF2's on the ipad.

I contacted the reseller and got a new pair a week later. The new pair has the exact same problem. At first there was no noise (I tried it for a minute or so on the ipad when I first received it) but as soon as I started using them on the ipod the problem reappeared.

Has anybody experienced this issue with Etymotic HF2's?

Can my ipod cause damage to the etymotics that creates this noise? I am using volume limiter on the ipod, I do not know if that affects anything relevant to this issue.

I even tried insulating the third ring on the Etymotic contact (TRRS) that is for microphone in order to see if the noise would disappear when I disconnected the microphone - no difference.

I contacted the seller again and they want to send me a new pair or refund me my money. I would however like to know what is causing this issue, so that I do not have the same problem with the third pair. Etymotics are great, apart from this issue it is all I could ask for in noise-insulation earphones.

Do all Etymotics have the same circuitry? I wonder if other models are less susceptible to this problem.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.