Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:30 PM   #1
moonman239
macrumors 6502a

iPhone 4S GPS Remarkably Accurate

I took my 4S out to the park. I walked pretty close to a gazebo and the phone positioned me maybe just a few yards away. I stood just like 3-6 ft away from a spot where two sidewalks merged together, which was right where the phone positioned me.

At home, my phone usually positions me somewhere near my house. I wonder how accurate the GPS is at my grandma's. Probably more accurate than my WiFi iPad or my iPod touch, which both sometimes positioned me on the hill adjacent to her house. She has WiFi, which could help.

Is it true that GLONASS works indoors?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:38 PM   #2
rgarjr
macrumors 603

Both GPS and glonass can work indoors as long you're near a window.
rgarjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:23 PM   #3
SHirsch999
macrumors 6502

my experience is that they are very good but not 100% accurate. I have an iPhone 4s as well as a 3G iPad 2, so both of my devices have GPS. A few days ago as a test I stacked them on top of each other next to my sliding glass back door, then opened up Find My iPhone. The iPad was located about 50 feet or so behind my house and the iPhone was located in the street in front of my house. As far as I can tell the GPS is very accurate in Navigon and Google Maps, especially when driving, but Find My iPhone is a bit less so.
SHirsch999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:26 AM   #4
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman239 View Post
At home, my phone usually positions me somewhere near my house.
It's probably not using GPS then (particularly if you're indoors). GPS isn't the only method used for determining your location. It's the most accurate but location services can fall back on less accurate methods if needed.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:08 PM   #5
moonman239
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
It's probably not using GPS then (particularly if you're indoors). GPS isn't the only method used for determining your location. It's the most accurate but location services can fall back on less accurate methods if needed.
Yeah. It's pretty neat that the phone has other ways to determine my location. I don't think it necessarily helps to place the phone close to a window.

I should note that location services can act funny when you're in a hospital.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone