Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Haha, thanks for sharing.

It continues to astonish me how Angry Birds remains relevant and apparently quite popular. It's almost as if the most important factor in buying a new gadget these days is whether or not it has Angry Birds. What exciting times we live in.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Couldn't agre more. I purchased a 16gig iPad 2 for my wife knowing she wouldn't be storing music on it. It's now completely full with apps. Going for the biggest size next time for sure. Only question is do I skip this upgrade and catch the next?

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
Couldn't agre more. I purchased a 16gig iPad 2 for my wife knowing she wouldn't be storing music on it. It's now completely full with apps. Going for the biggest size next time for sure. Only question is do I skip this upgrade and catch the next?

I skipped iPad 2 , but 100% will buy iPad3 just because of the time gap (aka technology gap).

If the iPad2 is doing what you need it to do I wouldn't upgrade. iPad2 will probably updated to iOS 6 and iOS 7. That 16GB is rough though, i've had a 16GB ipad since 2010, it's been murder.

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011
I think as the digital age of media continues 128GB will be needed. Most people who buy iPad's for the first time in my opinion don't really know how much space they need.

Well, if 80% of them have installed less than 40 apps 16GB is prob more than enough. I've got 104 apps and I still have 1.7GB free on my 16GB. I will upgrade to 32 next time, but that's because I imagine Retina Graphics are going to bump up app size considerably.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
Well, if 80% of them have installed less than 40 apps 16GB is prob more than enough. I've got 104 apps and I still have 1.7GB free on my 16GB. I will upgrade to 32 next time, but that's because I imagine Retina Graphics are going to bump up app size considerably.

it's not all about apps, with that retina display movies will be ever better to view on. The Bluray and DVD are not viable ways to view movies on the go when you can store multiple movies and videos on one device.

Gorion

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2006
I liked the statistics about the free and paid apps.... Since June 2010, I have downloaded 191 apps (a combination of free and paid) :eek: lol

VinceDae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
Copenhagen

I really like that the girls are sitting on the entertainment, games and social networking apps... and we have news, books and productivity .... - Whos the smartest sex now, eh girls? :p

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus

You don't have any high end graphics apps then? Most now push between 1gb and 2gb per app. As time progresses and developers utilize more and more graphics power of the A5, A6 and so on chips, the file size will continue to increase. 16gb iPads will simply cease to be made.

I can remember back in the mid 80's when a 250mb hard drve came out and I never thought in a million years it could be filled up! How times change.

VinceDae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
Copenhagen
You don't have any high end graphics apps then? Most now push between 1gb and 2gb per app. As time progresses and developers utilize more and more graphics power of the A5, A6 and so on chips, the file size will continue to increase. 16gb iPads will simply cease to be made.

I can remember back in the mid 80's when a 250mb hard drve came out and I never thought in a million years it could be filled up! How times change.

Ohhh you bring back memories (get it ;) - I remember my first "real" hardcore computer, could do ANYTHING - it was 133Mhz 512mb HD - and dont even remember the ram, - prob. 32 :p .... Was freaking awesome! - Commander Keen and Foodman ftw!

VinceDae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
Copenhagen
That takes me back

screenshot1347-1.jpg

Ohhh yeeeeeah!

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011
it's not all about apps, with that retina display movies will be ever better to view on. The Bluray and DVD are not viable ways to view movies on the go when you can store multiple movies and videos on one device.

I rarely travel in a way that allows me to watch a full length movie on my iPad, so that doesn't really apply to me. Heck, I'd be surprised if many people bother to load up their iPads with movies, I imagine most are just streaming with netflix/hulu/ect.

VinceDae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
Copenhagen
I rarely travel in a way that allows me to watch a full length movie on my iPad, so that doesn't really apply to me. Heck, I'd be surprised if many people bother to load up their iPads with movies, I imagine most are just streaming with netflix/hulu/ect.

Just be glad that you live in the states, here in LAME Denmark, we have like NOTHING to stream thats worth streaming.. :'(

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space

True, I may be in the minority that actually prefers films directly on a device. Netflix and hulu just doesn't have what i need right now on terms of new films or classics.

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011

The vast majority of my "apps" are games. I probably have every game worth having, but the only one that comes up over 1GB is Infinity Blade 2. I don't have anything that is anywhere close to 2GB. That said, I do delete games after I beat them. No reason to have them on the device if I don't intend on playing them again.

I don't think I said 16GB would be fine forever, in fact I said I plan on upgrading with the iPad 3. All I'm saying is that a 16GB iPad 2 seems to be more than enough for most people.

Legios

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
I recently axed all my music from my 64gb in favor of more movies, my kids movies are now a finger swipe away and I get my TV back.

I still have my apps/books, i figure if I need my music id use my phone or stream it as its all on google music now anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.