Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LSmitty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
I read the other day on several sites that the new MBAir will be released immediately after the ipad3. Is there any truth to this rumor?

I am needing to upgrade. I have a 6 year old macbook and it is getting very slow and old. I have wanted the lightweight air for awhile now. I am just torn on whether i should just go ahead and get the 2011 model or wait for the 2012. I will wait if it really is getting released so soon but I can't wait into the summer for it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I read the other day on several sites that the new MBAir will be released immediately after the ipad3. Is there any truth to this rumor?
Only Apple knows for sure. Rumors are just that: rumors.

Buy what you need, when you need it. It's a pointless effort to chase the "next update", since you don't know for certain what it will include, and there will always be a "next update" coming, no matter when you buy.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Considering the Ivy Bridge Processors are not out yet, I highly doubt we will see any new Macs for the next month or two.

I think we will see an update at or just before WWDC with the full announcement of Mountain Lion.

Steelgrave

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
No.

Intel confirmed this morning IB chips won't be out before June, so it'll be a few months minimum.

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
No.

Intel confirmed this morning IB chips won't be out before June, so it'll be a few months minimum.

When Sandy Bridge was released, Apple got their shipments of processors a few weeks / months (not sure exactly how long) before their competitors due to some internal deal with Intel. It's quite possible that could happen again with Ivy Bridge as well, so that Apple are ready to release when/before the chip becomes widely available. Let's just wait and see and hope for the best :)

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
No, but just like everyone else in this section of the forum, I cannot WAIT for next MBA.. come on down.. I need this more than ipad 3.

I want 13 mba form factor w/ smaller bezel for bigger screen(15 incher!!)

jjfcpa

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
What I really needed was a bigger SSD than 256 so I went out and bought a 480gig OWC SSD and installed it last weekend. Took about 20 minutes to install and a couple hours to migrate everything over.

Definitely faster than the stock drive and now I've got room for my iTunes and iPhoto library, Mac development files, and Win 7 virtual machine using VMware for Windows development. Just can't get it done in 256 gig.

I'm content till June when hopefully Apple will come out with a 15" MBA with a 512gig SSD.

Arne

macrumors regular
May 14, 2006
Germany
I got a promotional E-Mail from Apple today for the Air. I attached a screenshot. I guess this probably means no new MBA soon.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-01 um 20.39.28.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-01 um 20.39.28.png
    259.8 KB · Views: 922

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I think it would be reasonable to assume that it will ship around the time Mountain Lion is released.

Just before the back to school season.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
judging from all the rumours and presreleases from everyone everywhere,

Likely only new announcement in march will be the ipad3.

Intel has already announced that the Dual core ULV Ivy bridge product will be delayed till June. if this is the main chipset that the 2012 MBA's will use, it means June is the absolutely earliest we will see the revision.

Thats not that unreasonable. Would puit it 1 year behind the 2011 air. Just like the Ipad3 looks to be out 1 year after the ipad2

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
It would appear that the Air is the mac that least needs an update, everything else is getting on a bit now, unless you include the little spec bump the MBP received at the end of last year.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
I think it should drop early this summer due to IB coming out in June.

However, I just ordered a new MBA today so at least I'll be in the 14 day grace period if by slim chance it comes out next week.

Augure

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009

Well there is three theory:

1. Apple doesn't wait for IvyBridge, and releases a first 2012 update, probably in March during the event

2. Apple has an exclusivity on IvyBridge, and release a unique 2012 update around May/June

3. Apple wait for the IvyBridge without exclusivity, and they release a unique or a second 2012 update (after the march update) in August/September when Moutain Lion comes out.

I think it will be 1 and 2, given the fact that it's a special year for Macbooks and OSX

Last edited by a moderator:

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
I hope not....
I'll be super broke. I just bought a PS Vita, I plan on buying the iPad 3... if a MBA comes out.. i'll be screwed..

neilpryde23

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
I got a promotional E-Mail from Apple today for the Air. I attached a screenshot. I guess this probably means no new MBA soon.

Couldn't this also be Apple's attempt to help clear out their current MBA inventory because they are planning on refreshing soon?

robrob74

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2012
Well, I just got my refurbished 2011 13" Air the other day, got the 256gb SSD, i5 4gb, it is an amazing laptop, got it for $1349 so saved $250 off the new price, but this refurb looks brand new, not a single mark on it. I couldn't justify 1600 to get the 256 drive, and definitely wanted to have more than 128, so the refurb was the way to go to offset the high drive price.

My suggestion is: there will always be another new model around the corner at some point, but if the current model does everything you need or want, then get it and enjoy it, if it doesn't do everything you want, then either wait for a new model and hope it has the features, or find another laptop that has what you want.

For me, I can't imagine what the next model will have that this model doesn't do. This one fits my needs and definitely fulfills my wants!

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
When Sandy Bridge was released, Apple got their shipments of processors a few weeks / months (not sure exactly how long) before their competitors due to some internal deal with Intel.

Yep and did the Air get them at that time? No, they went into the Pro only. The Air only got them about 5 months later.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Couldn't this also be Apple's attempt to help clear out their current MBA inventory because they are planning on refreshing soon?

No.

Tim Cook is a master of channel inventory. Apple only builds what it plans to sell, that is why you see stock dwindle in the lead up to a new product launch. When they do a clearance sell it is always very brief, since so little is in stock.

At one point he had the channel inventory down to just days on some product lines. Big sellers like the iPhone and iPad may have a channel inventory as high as 6 to 8 weeks. But the MacBook Air would at most have a couple of weeks.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
buy now! the current model is a huge upgrade compared to the 2010 model. the difference between 2012 if released will not be as significant since mba have odd update cycles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.