Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tom438

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
Long story is I'm doing work for a company with suppliers in China who only use Corel Draw for their graphics. I know it's no longer available for mac and the last release which did work on mac no longer works on Lion which i use. I use Illustrator for all the work I do as thats what I'v learned with and am comfortable with. Does anyone know of a way to save illustrator files as fully compatible CDR files. Or of a way to get version 11 or newer of corel to work on Lion.
I know bootcamp is an option but i would prefer to avoid that route if i can.
I have and old macbook that I have both illustrator and corel on but when I paste illustrator work into corel the quality drops significantly so its far from an adequate solution.

If anyones got any advice or tips it'd be a real help.

Cheers

Zoreke

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Corel Draw Sucks...

I've been forced to send some corel files for some clients, I do all my work in illustrator. I'm using a Windows machine for this (I guess there's no way out)... Corel X5 can import illustrator CS5 files, some gradients won't open right and Corel doesn't supports illustrator clipping masks (Corel reads the mask as an object)... It took me like an hour to import some business cards from ai to corel... and that sucks...

And to use Corel Draw it's horrible... :(

Good luck, you need windows and patience to do it right...

:(

P.S. Love Corel Painter Though...

Great Dave

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
Yeah, I would have to second the idea to attempt to import the ai file into draw.

I know you mention that Bootcamp really isn't an option for you, but have you thought of parallels, fusion, virtualbox, etc.?

I don't think CorelDraw is terrible. CorelDraw is still a solid program.

Yep, I love Painter, too!

Zoreke

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Yeah, I would have to second the idea to attempt to import the ai file into draw.

I know you mention that Bootcamp really isn't an option for you, but have you thought of parallels, fusion, virtualbox, etc.?

I don't think CorelDraw is terrible. CorelDraw is still a solid program.

Yep, I love Painter, too!

True Corel Draw is solid, the reality is that I don't know how to use it and I get all frustrated when I have to... I use illustrator and I'm fast!.

Good luck

:D

tom438

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
Thanks guys. Handy to know x5 can import cs5 files. With bootcamp or parallels etc does it run as fastas it would in mac os, or will I be waiting for things to render. It's a 2011 MacBook Pro with 8gb ram I'm using.
Also if using windows either way can files be opened directly from and saved to the mac partition or would they need to be saved to Dropbox or a USB drive or something.

Thanks again guys.

iMacca

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
I would recommend using VMWare Fusion for your Windows installation. That way you don't have to reboot your machine every time you want to use CD. You can have a CD icon in your dock and when you click on it, it starts/resumes Windows and CD and off you go. By default it creates mappings to your documents, pictures and music folders, but you can map any folder you want to be accessible from Windows.

I have got a MacBook Pro with 8GB Ram and usually just allocate 2GB for Windows. But you can change it if you find it's not enough. Just make sure you don't allocated too much hard drive space up front because that's harder to get back once the VM file has been created. Mine is 30 GB.

With this setup, I find Windows programs perfectly useable.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.