Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laidbackal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
I'm thinking I may need to turn my phone in to apple for a replacement. Today for an example I unplugged my phone at 12pm and now my phone is almost about to turn off at 6%. I have 5 hours of usage and 8 hours and 49 minutes of standby. Am I using my phone too much maybe what is the average.

----------

I use safari a lot using wifi mostly and at times 3g when im away from home.

Laidbackal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
The brightness is right at the t in brightness section if u know what I mean I think that's about half.

----------

iPhone 4s iOS 5.0.1

Fudd

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
I'm currently sitting at 50 minutes usage and 13 hours standby with 83% battery remaining.

Yesterday I did quite a bit of browsing and it was 3 hours usage and 18 hours standby and 48% battery remaining when I plugged it in.

Laidbackal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
So getting to 18 hours do you let the phone sit overnight without using it or what.

Laidbackal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
For the people getting 18 hours and up are you charging your iPhone then taking it off the charger before bed.

Fudd

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
No I usually plug it in just before going to bed if it's below 60% and unplug it as I'm leaving for work.

Today I barely used it so it's still at 81% so I won't be plugging it in till tomorrow night.

(I do have a charger cable at work but never had to use it.)

Laidbackal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Hm im gonna try to not use my phone so much sounds weird but I need better battery life.

Laidbackal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Oh yes the morpie I heard it can actually damage the battery not sure about that. I have an iPhone 4s 2 months old.

Last edited by a moderator:

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
I'm thinking I may need to turn my phone in to apple for a replacement. Today for an example I unplugged my phone at 12pm and now my phone is almost about to turn off at 6%. I have 5 hours of usage and 8 hours and 49 minutes of standby. Am I using my phone too much maybe what is the average.

----------

I use safari a lot using wifi mostly and at times 3g when im away from home.

Have u ever heard about phantom usage? Maybe this is your problem

windowstomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
On autobrightness, mine gets through about a day an a half of occasional calls, a couple of hours of music and a bit of browsing. Actually a vast improvement on the Android phone I had.

B

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
It all depends what you do on your phone. If you are browsing the web via 3G or any apps that requires network, but using 3G then most likely it will use your battery a lot. You can save battery life by turning on wi-fi when you are using it. Games can drain battery depending on what games they are. Games like Infinity Blade, FIFA 12, Real Racing 2, or any games that requires lots of power will drain battery. When playing this games, I would suggest playing them while you are charging them.

I usually charge my phone every night when I go to sleep and unplug it when I go to school. Mostly around 6 PM, my battery is usually around 70%-60% depending on what I do with the phone. When I plug my phone to charge, it's usually around 40%.

As for my notifications, they are turn on, but I have turned off the view in lock screen because notifications will trigger the lock screen to turn on and that can drain the battery, I have it set for Banner view so when I unlock the screen then I get the banners, which saved me a lot of battery life in the past. *The only apps that I have set to view in lock screen is the SMS apps, and phone calls.

Average usage that one would get is usually around 4 hours to 6 hours of Usage (not Standby time). Standby time doesn't really matter because Standby time starts ticking when you unplugged your phone until you plug it back in. However, if both usage time and Standby time is the same then that means something is running in the background when you are not using the phone.

michaelzg

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
business
If you do nothing just leave the phone there, standby time maybe as long as 10days, try not use your phone at all for 10days to test it, haha:D

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
aefe53ce-1703-2083.jpg

Verizon 4S

I was out and about that day so wifi was only use when I got home, for maybe a couple hours.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Like posted above I get a little over six hours of actual usage before the phones dead.

aefc1de5-1ee2-c809.jpg

aefc1de5-1ef5-bd55.jpg

This was on to different days I tested it. Standby is great as you can see but use it for 6 hours and it done. I could probably replace the battery percentage with a count down timer lol.

Laidbackal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
So what did you actually do on the phone browse the web listen to alto of music or what. I mostly browse the web it seems to drain the battery quick even on wifi.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
So what did you actually do on the phone browse the web listen to alto of music or what. I mostly browse the web it seems to drain the battery quick even on wifi.

For me it doesn't matter, 6 hours of usage is it.

The 24 hour one was very light data usage. Most of it was talking on the phone.

The other one was mostly data. Facebook, browsing forums with tapatalk, words with friends, web browsing, amazon app, etc combination of wifi and 3G.

Like you I haven't noticed a significant difference between wifi battery usage and 3G.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
I usually get over 24hrs of standby time, but have seen longer than 48hrs a few times. Not sure how mine goes this long because I don't keep anything turned off except for Bluetooth. I do keep my brightness at about 65%, though.

ad310dce-5d5f-5530.jpg

ad310dce-5d88-f065.jpg

Laidbackal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Okay im jealous what model do you have a 4 or 4s. And your battery life looks good are you listening to a lot of music do you use safari a lot.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Okay im jealous what model do you have a 4 or 4s. And your battery life looks good are you listening to a lot of music do you use safari a lot.

I have the GSM 64GB Factory Unlocked 4S. I do listen to an hour of music each day during my workouts at the gym. I mostly use Safari as well as posting with an app called Tapatalk. I also use a few of my medical apps a lot during the day at work. I spend about 30-45 minutes a day emailing and sending messaging via BiteSMS.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I normally get at least 6 hours to 6 hours 30 minutes usage and at least 1 day to 1 and about 10 hours standby and thats with mostly internet, apps and music plus i have e-mail set to push alot of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.