Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

driphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Apperantly, a small coffee spill has killed my 7 month old ultimate 11" MBA. :(Apple genius thinks it's not worth repairing and he only removed the SSD to be used with another machine. My question is how do I know everything inside is fully destroyed? Is there any way to ID the good parts for Parting? Assuming they are right, what would be the worth of the unit as is? The screen and case re in like new condition.

TIA.
Sam

Last edited by a moderator:

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Apperantly, a small coffee spill has killed my 7 month old ultimate 11" MBA. :(Apple genius thinks it's not worth repairing and he only removed the SSD to be used with another machine. My question is how do I know everything inside is fully destroyed? Is there any way to ID the good parts for Parting? Assuming they are right, what would be the worth of the unit as is? The screen and case re in like new condition.

TIA.
Sam

If your not going to repair - eBay it - look at completed listings for price idea

So sorry bud.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay, or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

TIA.
Sam

It would cost about $735 to repair the logic board. I spilled a glass of wine on my 2010 and that was Apple's standard rate and I don't believe it has changed for the new model. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't make their notebooks water resistant the way a few other manufacturers do. There are liquid sensors that Apple uses to determine whether water damaged the machine. In my case the Genius Bar waived the repair charge as a goodwill measure (completely unexpected and unasked for on my part - but much appreciated), though I was prepared to spend the money for the repair if necessary.

My suggestion would be to have them send it in for repair. It can be done. Apple completely rebuilt my 2010 (replacing the logic board, part of the case, trackpad, battery, and keyboard), and when I got it back it was as good as new.

Note that even a refurbished ultimate 11" is $1439. $735 is still a lot cheaper than that. Since there isn't much that can be replaced on a MacBook Air, it isn't worth much from a parts perspective. The screen is probably the most valuable part (along with the SSD). The SSD is worth about $250-350 (OWC sells a slightly faster version for about $420 brand new). The screen is probably another $250-350 (based on what I have seen replacement screens sold for online).

Check to see if your credit card offers accidental damage support, but usually it is only for the first 90 days. In any case, when you decide to get a new computer, consider getting a personal articles policy rider for your homeowner's/renter's insurance policy. I have one that is $33/year with a $250 deductible.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:

driphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Thank you everyone for your much helpful input.

It seems like parts may not be worth selling except for the screen. I will keep the SSD since it has all my data. I will take the laptop back to Apple and ask them to give me a repair estimate and post the result. I heard the new MBA will be coming out soon so if all fails I guess I will need to do a mandatory upgrade:eek:. My wife thinks I did it on purpose... :D

Best regards.
Sam

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
You mention it's your "old" 11" Air, so is it a 2010?

Just shooting out of the dark (and this is a long shot), but if you replace the logic board of a 2010 MBA with the logic board of a 2011 MBA, could you technically have functioning 2011 MBA?

Is it possible? I understood that the main difference between each was the logic board and all it's processors..

Update: I just read you said "7 month old".. My bad! :D

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Thank you everyone for your much helpful input.

It seems like parts may not be worth selling except for the screen. I will keep the SSD since it has all my data. I will take the laptop back to Apple and ask them to give me a repair estimate and post the result. I heard the new MBA will be coming out soon so if all fails I guess I will need to do a mandatory upgrade:eek:. My wife thinks I did it on purpose... :D

Best regards.
Sam

My son spilled on his MBP keyboard and the thing was so sticky it was almost impossible to type. He had a BT keyboard he used for close to a year. Finally, between semesters and just before his AppleCare was about to run out, we went to the Apple Store to see what they would do. As a courtesy they fixed it. An over $900 logic board repair and now his MBP is like new again and he drinks in another room.

I will always always always buy AppleCare on Apple portable computers but not necessarily on Apple desktops. I also bought AppleCare on my iPad and again on my iPhone and did not use it once so I might not bother on future iThings either, just on MBP, MBA and the like.

I've been sorely tempted recently to replace my aging white Macbook. This was especially true when Mountain Lion came out and ALL my Intel Macs got voted off the island. I stared at the 15 in MBP for a long time with my finger hovering over "add to cart" when an email came through from refurb me and I snapped up a 2010 mini for $469. I recently cleaned my MB keyboard with glass plus and it looks like new so I think I can hold out another long year waiting for the next big update and remote desktop into the mini when I need to test things on ML. Meanwhile, perhaps I'll go ahead and get AC (only $150) on the mini so I have at least one item in the house with current AppleCare.

driphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Well I just picked up my new 11" MBA Ultimate :D.

Actually, the unit was serviced by Apple for the fixed cost of $750.

Here is what they replaced. It feels and looks like a new laptop. I am very happy.:)

Sam

Attachments

• 2012-03-04 at 16-08-34.jpg
    2012-03-04 at 16-08-34.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 230

mac26

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Well I just picked up my new 11" MBA Ultimate :D.

Actually, the unit was serviced by Apple for the fixed cost of $750.

Here is what they replaced. It feels and looks like a new laptop. I am very happy.:)

Sam

how much did the logic board itself cost? I would like to know for future reference just in case I ever want the i7 processor but not a new machine

I would REALLY appreciate if you could tell me
Thanks!

driphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
how much did the logic board itself cost? I would like to know for future reference just in case I ever want the i7 processor but not a new machine

I would REALLY appreciate if you could tell me
Thanks!

I am not sure as they charged me the fixed rate of $750 for the entire repair. BTW, during my initial visit after the accident the genius tech. said my MBA was beyond economical repair.

Sam

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I am not sure as they charged me the fixed rate of $750 for the entire repair. BTW, during my initial visit after the accident the genius tech. said my MBA was beyond economical repair.

Sam

"I can take it off you hands and throw it away" would be the next thing he said, then he'd fix it up and sell it - making huge profit.

Never trust people that say things like that instead of just telling you what a repair would cost.

driphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
So sorry man. Should def check out the silicon keyboard covers...they dont make it waterproof by any means, but can catch some small spills. Glad your system got repaired well!

FWIW, I had the Incase perforated case which I think made things worse by trapping some coffee between the case and the bottom of the laptop.:rolleyes:

driphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Sorry for your loss. Good thing is it is in the past now

Yes, I agree it's a financial loss but you know in the big picture of the bad things that can happen, I say "no problem".

I was playing with my 5 yr old when the spill happened.:)

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
Yes, I agree it's a financial loss but you know in the big picture of the bad things that can happen, I say "no problem".

I was playing with my 5 yr old when the spill happened.:)

haha and I can almost bet that it is not the biggest loss in your life either. I recently lost $4000 in unpaid work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.