Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHenry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
First off, congratulations for having a great and very helpful Forum, I have been reading it for a long time and found it many times to be very useful and full of resources.
Since this is my first post here, I hope this is the right Thread for this Topic.
I am using an external Hard Drive with 2 partitions: One for Time Machine and the second for storing my Files on Windows and the Mac.
After resizing the partitions several times trying to figure out the right size for each, reformatting and re-partitioning with Lion's native Disk Utility, I have noticed each time that the space was less and less without any Files on it, to the point that the total available capacity of the external Disk (and partitions accordingly) has now been reduced in almost 300 Mb compared to the first partition I did on it.
I have been reading and looking for an explanation but can't seem to find neither a reason nor a solution for this problem.
Does anyone know what is the reason for this and whether and How it can be restored to its original size of 1Tb?
Any input appreciated, Thank you.

Last edited:

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Depending on your comfort level with Terminal, you can use diskutil list to give you more information than Disk Utility about your partitions. For example, here is the info about mine:

Code:
USERNAME$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *160.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS MBP_Lion                159.2 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Media                   499.8 GB   disk1s2

Last edited:

iHenry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Thanks for your reply, I am new to the Apple World and I don't know how to use the Terminal or capture screen shots yet.

I was wondering if there is a possibility that there are hidden partitions left untouched from the previous resizing or reformatting? :confused:

As said, I have used the Disk Utility to erase and perform all operations on Lion.

Any Ideas?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.