Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Charly-ipod1991
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Charly-ipod1991
iPod 3rd gen-no light not even charging-someone help!!

Hi, wonder if some one can help me, i have a ipod 3rd gen like the one in my profile pic, i havent used it in about a year i have just brought a new charger cable for it, but its still not charging up, not even showing any lights ....it can't b a problem with the cable as its a brand spanking new one....nor can it b a problem with the USb port as i have tried charging my BlackBerry thru the computer and that work. iTunes isnt even noticing it either...could someone please hep me out.

Many Thanks x
Charly-ipod1991 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:11 AM   #2
tmonk13
macrumors newbie

Looks like the battery is completely expired. Replacement is only option at this point. Unless something has damaged it water, fall, or something in the charging dock (headphone port) is damaged. how long did you leave it plugged in?
tmonk13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:43 PM   #3
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly-ipod1991 View Post
Hi, wonder if some one can help me, i have a ipod 3rd gen like the one in my profile pic, i havent used it in about a year i have just brought a new charger cable for it, but its still not charging up, not even showing any lights ....it can't b a problem with the cable as its a brand spanking new one....nor can it b a problem with the USb port as i have tried charging my BlackBerry thru the computer and that work. iTunes isnt even noticing it either...could someone please hep me out.

Many Thanks x
Just a thought,Apple changed the dock connector a few years ago.Is your cable new?I know the old cable won't charge a newer idevice,not sure if the reverse is true.
I had to get an adapter to charge/play my iPhone in the car when that happened.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 09:24 AM   #4
Z-4195
macrumors newbie

Have you tried plugging it with Firewire?

iPod 3rd gen supports charging only with Firewire, it can sync with USB but will not charge.
Z-4195 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:50 PM   #5
MorganHiller
macrumors newbie

Ipod 3rd Gen - dead battery - repair facility

My iPod 3rd Gen is dead - though it's in really good shape.
I only used it for 3-4 months when bought new, and then left it in a drawer and forgot about it. Just found it today.
I would like to have it repaired.
I'm looking for a company where I can mail it to them for repair.
Can anyone recommend one?

thanks ~
MorganHiller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:41 PM   #6
((MGREC))
macrumors newbie

I recently wanted to do the same thing with my 15 gig iPod 3rd gen.
there is a place called The Pod Drop, with several locations in MI. a week ago I asked for a full restoration in exchange for some other iPods I owned that were needing to be fixed. 20 gig iPod color, and ipod 30 gig video. They give you a free packing label to print so all you have to do is drop it in the mail. anyway they said they would replace the battery, and the front panel, and also give it a new back panel.

luckily I found my old firewire cable today so hopefully everything works when I receive the restored iPod, and hopefully it syncs with my iTunes.

here is the web address.

http://thepoddrop.com/

in my opinion 3rd generation iPod was the best one aesthetically. I would like to see apple roll out some new models of that design. higher gig, color, photo, video... the works.
((MGREC)) is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:31 PM   #7
kaielement
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-4195 View Post
Have you tried plugging it with Firewire?

iPod 3rd gen supports charging only with Firewire, it can sync with USB but will not charge.
Is it a 3rd gen with the buttons on top? if so this is true and will only charge firewire AND NOT USB. Good luck BTW the current iTunes will support this generation. Found out the other day it will support even the first and second gens too. I have a second gen and tested it and it worked. Nice to see that all the iPods will sync with iTunes. Only bummer is I have to pull my old white MacBook out to sync due to my Air not supporting firewire.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod