Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssj300

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
Last night, I was downloading 10 torrents. I had my dreamweaver mx, ms word, ichat, itunes and safari running.

All of a sudden, itunes started to lag. I tried to close it but everything esle started to lag. And the whole computer started to freeze!!
apple option esc doesn't work anymore so i had to press the powerbutton for 5 seconds to shut it down. Upon restarting, the computer was stuck in the screen with the grey apple and circling thing under it for 10min +.

So I had to press the power button again.........
I looked in the manual and tried the option power button start up.
The screen popped up and but I saw no harddrive icon. After waiting a few minutes, it finally came up. I pressed it and click the right arrow. But it froze..!

So I put in the osx cd and rebooted by pressing the "C" key. Computer booted from the CD and i tried to disk utility. I tried to repair the harddrive but i got an error saying something about nodes and my repair failed.

So....... i restarted my computer and now i get this icon that seems to look like the computer can't find the harddrive?
I booted with the osx cd again and it couldn't locate the harddrive. I tried to reinstall osx but there was nothing to choose when they ask for where to install it.

So i figure... the harddrive was loose?
i tried to open the casing but....... the screws broke my cheap screw driver! lolol

help anyone?

heres the specs to my laptop:
os x.4.01
15in 1.67g4, 100gb harddrive.
1 gig ram
9700 128mb vr

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
run the hardware test CD and see if that comes up with errors, or get disk warrior and try that, and don't steal things using BitTorrent :p
its called retribution when it breaks on you

call apple and send it in to get replaced if it is broken, and hope that they can't get into the files and notice you were stealing things (i believe they can have those companies prosecute you) not sure thou

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It sounds as though your best option would be to all Apple. Unless you have an Apple Store or a reseller near. Most times having a Mac checked in person is just a lot easier. It can be frustrating over the phone. Good luck with your PowerBook. ;)

ssj300

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
eva01 said:
run the hardware test CD and see if that comes up with errors, or get disk warrior and try that, and don't steal things using BitTorrent :p
its called retribution when it breaks on you

call apple and send it in to get replaced if it is broken, and hope that they can't get into the files and notice you were stealing things (i believe they can have those companies prosecute you) not sure thou

Well.. i wasn't really stealing. I was just downloading the mac versions of softwares i already own on PC :D . I should sue them for trying to make me pay double.

What hardware test cd are you refering to. I only have 2 cds in my box. Mac OSx install cd1 and install cd 2.

WACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK :mad:

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
ssj300 said:
So i figure... the harddrive was loose?
i tried to open the casing but....... the screws broke my cheap screw driver!

DO NOT OPEN YOUR COMPUTER! don't even attempt it. You will void your warantee and then your totally f*cked.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
ssj300 said:
Well.. i wasn't really stealing. I was just downloading the mac versions of softwares i already own on PC :D . I should sue them for trying to make me pay double.

What hardware test cd are you refering to. I only have 2 cds in my box. Mac OSx install cd1 and install cd 2.

WACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK :mad:

I don't know if you purchased AppleCare or not. He may be referring to the CD that comes with AppleCare, it's a version of Tech Tracker. It can do a hardware check. That is the first thing that a tech will use to diagnose problems.

ssj300

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
so.. i put in the applecare cd.. and...

pressed the C button while starting up

then i got into apple's "grey screen of death"

it told me to restart and at the end of the message. it said panic with dots like this.....

and so that cd is useless

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
ssj300 said:
so.. i put in the applecare cd.. and...

pressed the C button while starting up

then i got into apple's "grey screen of death"

it told me to restart and at the end of the message. it said panic with dots like this.....

and so that cd is useless

Like I mentioned in my first suggestion, you need to call AppleCare, take your PowerBook to a local Apple Store, or Apple reseller. I'm sorry to hear about your problem. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.