Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Hi everybody,
I think I have a problem with my Apogee Duet (1st gen), but I'm a newbie when it comes to sound stuff and I want to be sure it's not a misconfiguration or my misunderstanding of something. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

The problem is: I hear bass crackling when listening through Sennheiser HD555 headphones to more or less bassy songs such as E.S. Posthumus — Nara or Positively Dark — Howl (try it, it's legally free) with this EQ setting in my audio player called Vox.app:

eq_47.png

When I plug the headphones directly to my Mac and play the same songs with the same EQ setting, the crackling is gone even when I significantly increase the volume.

If I turn off EQ while using the Duet, the crackling is gone as well.

What do you think?

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
That's the wrong way to go about EQ. If you raise the gain on some of the frequency bars, you need to lower your preamp to accommodate. Example, if you raise 64hz by 6db, you need to lower your preamp by 6db, so the preamp will be -6db.

An example of one of my EQs:

ScreenShot2012-02-10at121836AM.png

Last edited:

Dae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Thanks man! Much appreciated for the advice. It solved the issue. I also figured I should watch the red light for "overs" on Duet or in Maestro.

maestro_61.png

Gotta learn more about it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.