Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plastic Avatar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
West Virginia
3:25 p.m. EST

I can't get it, since with tax it goes over my spending limit :(

Thought someone here might like to know it's there:

store.apple.com then go to the Save section (right hand side of store page, halfway down)

That's a helluva deal. Education discount 15" with combo is $1799. The SD option, new, makes it $1934.

Same warranty as new.

Same ability to buy Applecare.

If I lived in PA and could get it tax free, it would be gone right now :)

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Yeah I got a ibook from one of the local apple stores here at a good refreshed deal but after tax it looked like I could get a better deal on ebay for the same one plus more ram and bluetooth but then there is that aful shipping cost. Odd thing was the ibook came out to almost the same price with out tax you would pay refreshed from apple.com plus you have shipping cost.

You could always try and call local apple stores to see if they have a better deal. Or alternatively you could try ebay and see if you find anythng good to your liking there at the price you want.

Plastic Avatar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
West Virginia
Well.... I used to do ebay for computers, but....

....after a huge and embarrassing ripoff committed against me by slavic cons who used a stateside account ebay supposedly banned (but somehow they were still able to post with, use ebay mailing services, receive positive feedback on, etc.), I've been pretty cautious about buying large items via ebay.

Sad, too :( I'm a *longtime* ebay'er, and waaaay too trusting cause I remember when ebay used to be a low-risk place to do business. I know too many people who've gotten burned this past year on newer items. Ebay and trust just don't mesh anymore =|

bloodycape said:
Yeah I got a ibook from one of the local apple stores here at a good refreshed deal but after tax it looked like I could get a better deal on ebay for the same one plus more ram and bluetooth but then there is that aful shipping cost. Odd thing was the ibook came out to almost the same price with out tax you would pay refreshed from apple.com plus you have shipping cost.

You could always try and call local apple stores to see if they have a better deal. Or alternatively you could try ebay and see if you find anythng good to your liking there at the price you want.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better deal on ebay- full warranty and all.... and I think it said free shipping when I put it in my online cart earlier.

Did you pick up your refurb iBook at an Apple Store or a reseller? I hadn't considered retail Apple Stores would have refurb items for sale. The closest Apple Store is 2 hours away in PA :( But I was going to go there this coming week to buy my machine and save on sales tax :)

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Plastic Avatar said:
If I lived in PA and could get it tax free, it would be gone right now :)

PA is not tax free. I live in PA, and we have 6% sales tax. I jsut recently took a 2hour trip to tax-free Delaware to save $84 on my iMac.

Plastic Avatar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
West Virginia
No kidding?

RJP31484 said:
PA is not tax free. I live in PA, and we have 6% sales tax. I jsut recently took a 2hour trip to tax-free Delaware to save $84 on my iMac.

A friend of mine bought an education discounted iMac at the Pittsburgh store, and she didn't get charged sales tax.

Crap.

I wonder what the deal with that was?

Sorry for the misinformation.

Delaware is too far away for me :(

[added 10 minutes later]

Ahhhh. I understand now.

She *thought* she got it without tax (but it ended up being the ed. discount + tax). I think the cheap meal at Ikea threw her =|

Sorry people!

Is the tax in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia higher than the rest of the state?

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Plastic Avatar said:
That's a helluva deal. Education discount 15" with combo is $1799.

If you're a student, you can also take advantage of the $100 spring promo going on right now... So, $1799 - $100 = $1699. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.