Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Eze348
macrumors newbie

Apple mail changes my email address

I am finding that I email people snd get responses on other email addresses I don't want them on. If I am responding to an email in one account shouldn't it default to that account? I know if I am started a new email I need to select.
Eze348 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:53 AM   #2
r0k
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eze348 View Post
I am finding that I email people snd get responses on other email addresses I don't want them on. If I am responding to an email in one account shouldn't it default to that account? I know if I am started a new email I need to select.
Apple mail can be very uncooperative. Always examine the from field when you send from an Apple computer or device. I argued this with a Genius in the Apple Store some months back and found that my concerns fell on deaf ears. At the time, I used gmail to "aggregate" half a dozen email addresses. I found that when I replied, the "from" address was not the identity that received the email, it was the gmail account I happened to be using to check email. I have had to go through some gymnastics to scrub my gmail address (which I never intended to give out) from all my correspondance but the root cause of the trouble I'm having is Apple's stubborn insistence that I can't necessarily "reply as" the identity I choose to use.

It's less severe on OSX than it is on iOS but it still takes some extra steps to make sure you are replying as who you think you are replying as.

In mail.app, be sure to pick a default email to use when you send email. And yes if you set mail.app up to check 3 or 4 accounts, even if you have a default outbound email account, mail.app should default to replying from the account you are using when you reply. But even knowing mail.app defaults to replying from the "correct" account and after setting a default outgoing email, you have to pause and look at that from field before you hit send every time.

By contrast, google apps allows you to send and receive from your own domain using gmail. I've started porting all my email to google apps as I grow tired of the inflexibility of iCloud and I demand absolute control over my identity when I send email.
r0k is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eze348 View Post
In Mail General Preferences what is "Send new messages from:" set to? I have it set to "Account of selected mailbox".

Note that I'm not using Mountain Lion, so I don't know if something changed or broke, but it works fine in Lion and prior versions of OS X.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:01 AM   #4
r0k
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
In Mail General Preferences what is "Send new messages from:" set to? I have it set to "Account of selected mailbox".

Note that I'm not using Mountain Lion, so I don't know if something changed or broke, but it works fine in Lion and prior versions of OS X.
Therein lies my disagreement with Apple on this. There really should also be an option for "Send new messages from: identity they were addressed to." so that you can have multiple identities per email account. Sadly the option for multiple identities is restricted to multiple me.com aliases. Not exactly useful in my situation.

Thanks for clearing up what the option is as I'm not in front of my Mac until later this afternoon.
r0k is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion