Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:04 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone User Awarded $850 in Judgment Against AT&T Over Throttling

Associated Press reports that an iPhone user in California has been awarded $850 in a small claims lawsuit filed against AT&T over throttling of data speeds. The user, who was on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, saw his data speeds drastically slashed once he reached 1.5-2 GB in a given month, even as other users on limited 3 GB plans at the same price see no similar restrictions at those levels.
Quote:
Pro-tem Judge Russell Nadel found in favor of Matt Spaccarelli in Ventura Superior Court in Simi Valley. Spaccarelli filed a small claims case against AT&T last month, arguing the communications giant unfairly slows speeds on his iPhone 4's unlimited data plan.

Nadel's ruling could pave the way for others to follow suit. AT&T has some 17 million customers with "unlimited data" plans that can be subject to throttling, representing just under half of the company's smartphone users.
There is no word yet on whether AT&T will appeal the decision, but the sales manager representing AT&T in the case has argued that the carrier reserved the right to "modify or cancel" or cancel customer contracts if their usage is adversely affecting the company's network capabilities. The article notes that a class action suit might be the normal evolution of such a complaint, but AT&T's subscriber contract prohibits class action or jury trials, leaving arbitration and small claims as the options.

AT&T began throttling unlimited data customers ranking in the top 5% of data users last October. But while early reports of throttling came mostly from high-volume users consuming in excess of 10 GB of data per month, reports of users being throttled at much lower levels in the neighborhood of 2 GB have been increasing. AT&T notes that the throttling is done on a case-by-case basis and only if there are network capacity issues in the customer's area, but for those who are affected, the throttled speeds are slow enough to make their devices nearly unusable.

Update: AT&T issued this statement to MacRumors: "This is a small claims matter. We are evaluating next steps, including appeal. But at the end of the day, our contract governs our relationship with our customers."

Article Link: iPhone User Awarded $850 in Judgment Against AT&T Over Throttling
MacRumors is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

Good News, a step in the right direction.
Koodauw is offline   48 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:08 PM   #3
kalex
macrumors 65816

Good for him. About time and hopefully this will get others to do the same. Enough is enough
kalex is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:08 PM   #4
AJH1993
macrumors regular

And people wonder why AT&T was rated worst carrier 2 years in a row. Because they are.
AJH1993 is offline   48 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:09 PM   #5
srxtr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodauw View Post
Good News, a step in the right direction.
Yep, first step is always important
srxtr is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:09 PM   #6
eric/

Score one for customers and proliferation of the Internet.
eric/ is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:09 PM   #7
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Next step, class action?!!?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:09 PM   #8
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

nice Im expecting to receive another class action settlement check in the near future
DerekRod is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:10 PM   #9
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

At $850, he's doing them a favor so they realize they need to stop doing this or lose customers.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:11 PM   #10
smileyborg
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Class actions are dumb. Only the lawyers win in the end.
smileyborg is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:11 PM   #11
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030

Nice!
Glad to see a judge recognized the BS in how they choose to throttle.

I understand the need in some cases, but throttling unlimited users who are below 3GB but are paying the same price as someone on a 3GB limited plan was begging for a lawsuit.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:11 PM   #12
tido2012

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Can't wait
tido2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:11 PM   #13
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekRod View Post
nice Im expecting to receive another class action settlement check in the near future
Apparently AT&T's subscriber agreement prohibits class action suits. not sure if that's enforceable, but it's there.

arn
arn is online now   14 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:11 PM   #14
stisdal
macrumors 6502

I can see this as the beginning of the end for us grandfathered "unlimited" folks. AT&T will use this loss as a reason to just do away with the grandfathered unlimited plans all together.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:12 PM   #15
lozanoj83
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to lozanoj83
Same issue with me. Los Angeles area, last month used around 1.25GB, got a message saying my speeds would be throttled. Pisses me off really, 1/2 of the data ATT sells in their tiered bucket, yet I'm in the top 5% of users?
iPhone 5, 64GB
lozanoj83 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:13 PM   #16
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Clear does the same thing on their 4G service. How can throttling be considered "unlimited?"
Laird Knox is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:13 PM   #17
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Apparently AT&T's subscriber agreement prohibits class action suits. not sure if that's enforceable, but it's there.

arn
Hmm Ive recieved checks for them before,They've been hit with a couple of suits the last one I remember was funnily enough over sim locks
DerekRod is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:13 PM   #18
valkraider
macrumors regular

When users get throttled - they should use the RootMetrics coverage app and start running tests.

When the throttled user's slow as molasses data speeds start bringing down the provider's scores then maybe the provider will care more.

Data speed wars are ramping up and having your scores hammered would hurt...
valkraider is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:14 PM   #19
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by stisdal View Post
I can see this as the beginning of the end for us grandfathered "unlimited" folks. AT&T will use this loss as a reason to just do away with the grandfathered unlimited plans all together.
It's inevitable, I mean could we really imagine ATT still allowing unlimited plans 10 years from now? Hell, they'll probably throttle at 1GB by then.
troop231 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:14 PM   #20
woodlandbunny
macrumors newbie

I signed a petition

I believe this is a great step forward in stopping AT&T Wireless from unfairly charging us for something and then throttling on the speed.

I even signed a petition I found on change.org:
http://www.change.org/petitions/att-data-throttle

Lost of people have signed this and I believe this will help.
woodlandbunny is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:14 PM   #21
Apple Expert
macrumors 65816

Good for him! Now I'm not paying my EFT. We can head to court on this matter.
Apple Expert is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:14 PM   #22
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkraider View Post
When users get throttled - they should use the RootMetrics coverage app and start running tests.

When the throttled user's slow as molasses data speeds start bringing down the provider's scores then maybe the provider will care more.

Data speed wars are ramping up and having your scores hammered would hurt...
THIS^^^^^ is an excellent idea,Though im afraid this may be the end of our unlimited data which I believe they have the right to do so in contract.
DerekRod is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:15 PM   #23
InuNacho
macrumors 65816

AT&T is too cheap to install actual working antennas and stuff so they'll just point the finger at people using a measly 2GB and blame them for the general slowness.
InuNacho is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:15 PM   #24
rusty2192
macrumors 6502a

So where did the $850 value come from? Over a 24 month contract, that would be ~$35/month. The plan is $30/month and they have only been throttling for less than a year. Or can you get punitive damages in small claims court?

Edit: I see this now in the source link: "The customer contract specifies that those who win an award from the company in arbitration will get at least $10,000. Spaccarelli picked the same amount for his claim. Judge Nadel instead awarded him $85 for each of the 10 months left on his contract."
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:16 PM   #25
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by stisdal View Post
Yep, but it was going to end sooner or later anyhow.
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion