Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While shortages of the Apple TV at numerous high-profile resellers have been documented for weeks and part numbers indicating an update alongside the iPad 3 next week have been revealed, AppleInsider now notes that Apple has specifically been stalling in delivering promised shipments of the device to resellers.
For three consecutive weeks, the Cupertino-based company has failed to make good on its promissory to restock indirect channel partners with fresh inventory of the existing $99 Apple TV product, say people familiar with matter.

Instead, partners and channel members have seen Apple push back deliveries each consecutive week by one additional week -- a practice that almost always foreshadows a formal discontinuation of a product ahead of new models.
Even Apple's own stores are beginning to see shortages of the device as Apple draws down supplies ahead of the refresh. While the company's online store is still reflecting an "in stock" status, those customers opting for the in-store pickup option will find that many Apple retail stores are currently out of stock.

apple_tv_bay_area_march_8.jpg

For those locations currently out of stock of the Apple TV, the company can still ship orders to the stores for pickup, but even those shipments are starting to see extended timeframes. While U.S. stores east of the Mississippi could generally have an Apple TV ordered today available for pickup by March 3, delays increase moving farther west across the country. Stores in the middle of the country are showing availability on March 6, while those in the Southwest and Southern California are citing March 7 availability and those in the Pacific Northwest down to the Bay Area can't promise availability until March 8.

Apple's iPad 3 media event is scheduled for next Wednesday, March 7, and it appears that the updated Apple TV set-top box will be making an appearance at that time.

Article Link: Apple 'Stalling' in Replenishing Reseller Stocks of Apple TV as Shortages Hit Apple Retail

Last edited:

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
I think if Apple supports 1080P in various formats (e.g. XBMC-like or VLC-like CODEC support), and allows a USB HDD to play local movies without a seperate computer to stream from, then I'll buy two. If not, then I plan on sticking with my XBMC HTPC.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
1080p content would be nice. I would prefer 7.1 channel lossless audio. (I will admit, I prefer 6.2. What is with the lack of a back channel?)

gallofilm

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
Aren't Android TV boxes much better?

android Just like their phones are better than Iphones now? After all Apple always said Apple TV is a hobby project, and I have no intention to go through Itunes to watch a small video. How's Apple goiong to innovate a boring line of products? Are they going to add Siri to the new Apple TV? Please.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
I think if Apple supports 1080P in various formats (e.g. XBMC-like or VLC-like CODEC support), and allows a USB HDD to play local movies without a seperate computer to stream from, then I'll buy two. If not, then I plan on sticking with my XBMC HTPC.

Even better, how about letting you plug in an external drive to your Airport Extreme? Even better^2, how about letting you soft mirror that external drive connected to your airport extreme?

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I think if Apple supports 1080P in various formats (e.g. XBMC-like or VLC-like CODEC support), and allows a USB HDD to play local movies without a seperate computer to stream from, then I'll buy two.

Apple will definately NOT include a USB port to stream movies without a separate computer. This defeats the entire purpose of the Apple TV.

The Apple TV is a device to display what is on your iPad, iPhone, computer or in the cloud (i.e. netflix, etc.). I want to have my 3 Apple TVs in the house behave the same, and I can't do that with different external hard drives plugged into it. If that is what you want, then the Apple TV isn't for you.

I expect a 1080p upgrade, with apps coming in June.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I know this is lame, but it'd be nice to buy either a white or black one. But I'll probably buy a black one since all of my tv/entertainment section is all black. I wouldn't mind an even smaller Apple TV 3

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006

I got a Boxee Box so i could do this. It does pretty much everything but i hate the netflix interface.

Of course if the Apple TV 3 is announced to have at least 1080p and more media support. I'll ditch the Boxeebox in a heartbeat.

Eves apple

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2011
Lovely, the new iPad isn't a massive draw as I'm more than happy with my iPad 2, new 1080 smart Apple TV might get me into an apple store though :)
Might even get me to pick up an iPad 3 too impulse buy ;)

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I'm thinking of picking up one for streaming from Mountain Lion, hopefully apple will get serious and add 3rd party app store support though.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Looking forward to an ATV3 with 1080p to go along with my new 1080p LED TV I picked up last week.

Then I can take my ATV2 and keep it with the 720p LCD TV in another room. :)

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Apple will definately NOT include a USB port to stream movies without a separate computer. This defeats the entire purpose of the Apple TV.

The Apple TV is a device to display what is on your iPad, iPhone, computer or in the cloud (i.e. netflix, etc.). I want to have my 3 Apple TVs in the house behave the same, and I can't do that with different external hard drives plugged into it. If that is what you want, then the Apple TV isn't for you.

I expect a 1080p upgrade, with apps coming in June.

Put that external drive on your network and all your devices at home will have the functionality.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
I really hope they add a app store for things like Plex, BBC iPlayer so i don't have to jailbreak!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.