Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BackTwoMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Update: So it turns out I deleted the partition somehow. Updates in post #4. Advice Appreciated.

Disclaimer: The story is a bit convoluted (to me anyway), and I'm aware that my lack of knowledge probably created the problem. Still if you can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I finally got my Macbook Pro today and I'm trying to extract files from my old external I'd used as a back up with a white macbook. When that macbook died at the end of 2010, I wasn't in a position to replace it so I've been using a netbook since. At the time I was unaware that I wouldn't have access to the harddrive because it had been formated on the Mac. When I hooked it up to a netbook it didn't even acknowledge it. After a few amateur google searches I managed to come up with a program, I think it was HFSExplorer that said it would let me read the drive on a PC. I was able to see the contents of the drive (I recognized titles of saved documents etc) using the program but I couldn't actually open the files. Although, I couldn't access them I at least felt happy to verify the drive wasn't empty. I know I didn't initialize or reformat because I didn't want to wipe the drive but I do remember executing some sort of process (suggested on another site). After that failed, I finally called WD and they explained the difference in formatting for OSX and Windows and told me I could only access the drive on a Mac.

Fast forward to today, I'm finally back on OSX but when I plug up the drive, it says it is unreadable and my options are "Initialize", "Ignore" and "Eject". Needless to say I'm a bit distraught.

I hooked the drive back up to the netbook, but I don't remember how I got HFSExplorer to open it (if it was even that program, it could have been something else as I have since uninstalled it). It doesn't recognize it when I hit auto detect. MacDrive says it doesn't see any Mac disks when I tried that option, but it sees it as WD passport under the option to create or format mac disk (I didn't select that).

I know this story is a little all over the place and I apologize. Am I screwed? These files meant a great deal to me and are kind of irreplaceable. I know I was foolish to muck around the way I did. Any ideas where to start? I feel like what I'm holding here is a blank drive. But I'd like to believe that isn't true. Can anyone help? :confused:

Last edited:

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
I know I didn't initialize or reformat because I didn't want to wipe the drive but I do remember executing some sort of process (suggested on another site). After that failed, I finally called WD and they explained the difference in formatting for OSX and Windows and told me I could only access the drive on a Mac.

This is the bit that worries me and I suspect that the drive may be dead...

It s not unusual for hard drives to give the "initialise, ignore, eject" dialog box even when there is nothing wrong. Sometimes you have to try 2,3 or more times and then it will suddenly recognise it as a hard drive.

The fact that you cannot access from either your MacBook Pro or your netbook is not good news.

Give it a few more attempts to recognise it then see what happens....

BackTwoMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012

Give it a few more attempts to recognise it then see what happens....

Thanks for replying!

Still getting the same message.
I'm thinking really hard trying to remember what I did as it was a few months ago. The term partition is sticking out and that scares me.

I can see the drive in disk utility, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for (if anything). There are no options under First Aid.

BackTwoMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
I found a lost partition using disk drill. After quick scan, the files are there (don't know if they're all there) so I guess whatever I did deleted a partition. What should I do next? Deep scan? Upgrade to pro and recover the files? Is this the best program or should I go with another program/method? I just want to make sure I'm on the right path.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.