Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evilblob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Hi all. I've been a lurker for a while, and I've made a couple of posts around the place before, but this is my first time asking for help, and it's for something that might not even be possible!

I have recently got my hands on a Top Case with the Keyboard and Trackpad from a MacBook Pro (Mid-2009 or Mid-2010), and I want to use it as an external keyboard if it's possible. So is it at all possible to convert the connectors on the keyboard and/or trackpad to something like USB that will plug into an early 2011 MacBook Pro? If it is possible, how would I go about doing it? I'm aware that I would have to buy individual keys to make the keyboard properly usable.

img1004za.jpg

img1005ic.jpg

photo1am.jpg

trikky

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
I have recently got my hands on a Top Case with the Keyboard and Trackpad from a MacBook Pro (Mid-2009 or Mid-2010), and I want to use it as an external keyboard if it's possible. So is it at all possible to convert the connectors on the keyboard and/or trackpad to something like USB that will plug into an early 2011 MacBook Pro?

To what end? To me, it makes sense to just use a corded or cordless keyboard that you can just plug in. Taking into consideration the amount of effort and technical prowess required for your planned solution, even a $60 keyboard you just turn on seems like a pretty good bargain.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

evilblob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah, I had thought that might be the case. I just thought if it was possible, it would be pretty cool. Thanks anyway. I might have to go and get Apple's Bluetooth Keyboard.

hotgrease

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2010
Not sure how to do that, but it would be pretty cool. Probably pretty expensive though.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I agree that if you can find a way it is a cool accessory. There are some of us that enjoy DIY projects mainly for the process.

The keyboard is probably going to be the easier of the two, since apple offers wired keyboards. I would say unless you can also get the trackpad to work there isn't a compelling reason. Why not try to track down some apple diagnostic documents to see if there are electric schematics in them.

EDIT: I actually would love exactly that for my desktop hackintosh. I always recline back in my computer chair, and would love to have the keyboard/trackpad on my knee or something like that. Of course I would definitely have to include the guts to make it wireless (RF not blutooth).

eze1981

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2017
Hi @evilblob, where you able to do something with that keyboard and trackpad? I got exactly the same top-case for free and I would like to convert it to USB. Could you please share your experience with this. Thank you

rcadit

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2018
Hi @eze1981 and @evilblob, were any of you able to do this? I too have an old MBP lying around and can't figure out how to connect it to a USB. The video above is for an older model of the macbook.

lordvenius

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2021
Hey!
So i guess no one found a solution for this? Im working on a similar project. Does anyone know what format the keyboard uses? Im trying to put a raspberry pi inside an old macbook pro 2011. Is it maybe possible to solder all the buttons to a micro controller and do a custom setup?
At this point its not about if its reasonable. Its about my personal pride. Ill do whatever it takes.

I found this solution for the trackpad:

Help me macrumors, you are my only hope..

yuri111

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2021
Hey!
So i guess no one found a solution for this? Im working on a similar project. Does anyone know what format the keyboard uses? Im trying to put a raspberry pi inside an old macbook pro 2011. Is it maybe possible to solder all the buttons to a micro controller and do a custom setup?
At this point its not about if its reasonable. Its about my personal pride. Ill do whatever it takes.

I found this solution for the trackpad:

Help me macrumors, you are my only hope..
I can't help at all if you don't want / can't use an original motherboard. I got a broken 2011 MacBook Pro for very cheap and did that "conversion". Took me a long time because I'm super bad at electronics. Anyways, using the original circuitry, the keyboard and trackpad work as follows for me:

Desktop PC BIOS: Works fine
Windows 10: Keyboard works, trackpad works as a mouse (Windows doesn't recognize it as a trackpad.. so no multi-touch gestures)
Linux (Ubuntu): Keyboard works, trackpad works like a charm including all gestures
MacOS: Keyboard works, trackpad works like a charm including all gestures
Android-x86 (inside a virtual machine): Keyboard works, trackpad works like a charm including all gestures
Android-x86 (from USB stick) and Android 10 phone + Android 11 tablet: Keyboard works, trackpad appears dead

Considering that it only doesn't work in Android (the only use-case I have for it.... if anyone has an idea, please let me know!), it will "probably" work just fine with a Raspberry Pi.

I found someone else doing that with a mid 2012 MacBook Pro (like the guy on hackaday) who described everything in greater detail: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/proje...rackpad-from-macbook-pro-(mid-2012)-trackpad/

If you also get a 2012 MBP that could be enough, if you get a different year model it's probably better to get the schematics online (somewhat easy to find on Google) like I did. Hope this helps you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.