Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jblu07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
**Heads-up= Sorry for the long introduction, i think its better i get all the details out now instead of later going back and forth**

Hello Mac Geniuses,
I have found this forum and website many times more useful and capable than any mac "genius".
As little as i post, i often use other peoples posts and responses to deal with issues with my MBP and IOS devices.

I currently have a 15" MBP: MacBookPro6,2
500GB, i5, 2.53 GHZ, Late 2010, running SL

I have partitioned 100gb off for a bootcamp partition running windows 7, i also use parallels on the bootcamps VM. Though the main version i run windows are for gaming purposes, and from time to time jailbreak and unlock purposes.

In the near future i plan on selling this computer and moving to an iMac (many thanks to the capabilities of my iPad2, which i use for all work and studying needs. Dropbox and Splashtop Streamer make it possible for me not to leave the house with my laptop and just do basically everything out of the house on my iPad.
That being said i am upgrading to Imac for the screen real estate, larger hard drive, memory, and graphics card. The main use of my MBP is video editing with Avid, Aftereffects, Premeire.. So its pretty worth it for me to change up now, especially before the next line of MBP's get released.

In preperation of the upgrade and the sale, i have purchased another external HD: 750gb G-Drive Mobile, to assist my Mybook 1tb...
I plan on upgrading my MBP to Lion for both being update for the next owner and also so there will not be problems of migrating a backup of Snow Leopard (TM OR CCC) to a new Lion computer. I assume that because they are two different devices on two different operating systems it would be best to at least put them on the same operating system to narrow down future compatibility issues.
After repartitioning both drives
1.My Book: 1TB is now 315GB for TM backups, winclone backup, and the rest for storage.​
2.G-Drive Mobile: 750GB is now 315 with CCC Backups, and the rest storage​

Now that i have everything backuped properly i started running maitence/cleaning tasks and repairs. Before i started all the Backing up i repaired the Macintosh HD disk and its permissions which i was advised to do both in Onyx and Disk Utility.
It caught my attention how often i find myself repairing the disc or its permissions. I do it quite often, if i verify once a week it will tell me to repair.. Pretty much every-time i verify (lets says after a few days prior repair) it will tell me to launch from SL C.D. and repair disc....

The point is this happens a lot, and on computer purchased only a year ago, this doesnt seem fitting. I forgot to mention before that i dont see any major problems with the computer on its own, it just sometimes happens to run slower than i would expect for such a new computer. Which usually pushes me to verify permissions and disc which then leads me to repair.

Also once i repair permissions (not disc) i will re-verify and it will again find plently of things out of place, then i will re-repair and re-verify and it will still find problems.... so its this continous loop.

I want to be careful and took my computer to a local "Apple Store" and had a genius look at it. I wanted to make sure that the computer (HD) i was about to sell is not faulty or broken. He ran the checks and tests that they do in the store and said that everything looked fine.

His diagnosis was that bootcamp and windows cause problems.
He said:
Erase whole hard drive through disc utility on CD and then clean install SL without partitioning for bootcamp and see how it works, then restore TM backup and then upgrade to Lion through MacAppStore...an then if i really want to re-do bootcamp once on lion, and then to restore my windows setup with winclone​

Im wondering if his diagnosis and method of action is the right one and at all necessary.

I saw on another persons post that they made a Lion CD or thumb-drive with the download from the Macappstore and then clean installed it over Snow Leopard, completely leaving the Bootcamp partition alone...

So unofficially off the record Mac Geniuses, what is the next step?

Thanks

P.S. i dont know if its safe, necessary or possible, but maybe i can find the logs of the permission and disc repairs and show it to someone that can understand what the continuous problem is.

shootist

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2011
Well to be honest your post is so long that most just skip over it after the first look.

Actually I skipped over it all also and was going to leave this thread until I read your second post.

I have no idea why you chose to include all those details as the topic says it all.

If you are constantly have to do a Disk Repair then there is something wrong with the physical disk or the OS you are now using is totally corrupted. That usually doesn't happen unless the disk itself is failing.

So yes you could upgrade to Lion but it won't fix the problems you may have with the disk.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
i had this problem. if you run a full S.M.A.R.T report on your drive (not just the green light in Disk Utility) you will probably find lots of sectors are flagged as faulty and the data would have been moved. Put a new drive in and the problem went away.

When you do a disk verify and repair do you find lots of files in the trash can after?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
From the following GGJstudios regarding repairing disk permissions:

Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

Five Mac maintenance myths

There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions:
If repairing permissions results in error messages, some of these messages can be ignored and should be no cause for concern.

Now if you're having issues with the actual disk itself, that is a different story.

Do you have access to an IBM PC? If so, I suggest you take the HDD out of your MBP and connect it to an IBM PC and run the DOS-based program Spinrite to find and repair bad sectors on the disk. I use this program all the time on computers and it almost always fixes Windows BSOD's (if there is a disk problem) and HDD's in general.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Before i started all the Backing up i repaired the Macintosh HD disk and its permissions which i was advised to do both in Onyx and Disk Utility.
It caught my attention how often i find myself repairing the disc or its permissions. I do it quite often, if i verify once a week it will tell me to repair.. Pretty much every-time i verify (lets says after a few days prior repair) it will tell me to launch from SL C.D. and repair disc....

The point is this happens a lot, and on computer purchased only a year ago, this doesnt seem fitting. I forgot to mention before that i dont see any major problems with the computer on its own, it just sometimes happens to run slower than i would expect for such a new computer. Which usually pushes me to verify permissions and disc which then leads me to repair.

Also once i repair permissions (not disc) i will re-verify and it will again find plently of things out of place, then i will re-repair and re-verify and it will still find problems.... so its this continous loop.
They are probably errors you can ignore, as SandboxGeneral stated. Be sure to read the links he posted.

Disk Utility repairs the permissions for files installed by the Mac OS X Installer, Software Update, or an Apple software installer. It doesn’t repair permissions for your documents, your home folder, and third-party applications.

You can verify or repair permissions only on a disk with Mac OS X installed.
Does Disk Utility check permissions on all files?

Files that aren't installed as part of an Apple-originated installer package are not listed in a receipt and therefore are not checked. For example, if you install an application using a non-Apple installer application, or by copying it from a disk image, network volume, or other disk instead of installing it via Installer, a receipt file isn't created. This is expected. Some applications are designed to be installed in one of those ways.

Also, certain files whose permissions can be changed during normal usage without affecting their function are intentionally not checked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.