Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, a photo of what was claimed to be the front glass and digitizer assembly for the iPad 3 appeared on Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo. While the part appears nearly identical to the version found on the iPad 2, differences in the ribbon cable attached to the component indicate that is indeed a different part.

ipad_3_digitizer_black_white.jpg

Repair Labs has now gotten its hands on on what appears to be the same part in both black and white, suggesting that Apple will indeed offer at least some models of the iPad 3 in both colors. There had been some suggestion from leaked part numbers that at least one model of the iPad 3 may come only in one color, but additional part numbers later surfaced to indicate that both colors will indeed be available on all models.

ipad_3_digitizer_inside.jpg

As with the previous photo of the claimed iPad 3 front glass and digitizer, the new photo clearly shows home buttons on both parts. Presuming that the parts are legitimate, the photos should hopefully reduce the wild speculation that Apple's media event invitations revealed an iPad 3 lacking a home button.

Apple's media event is scheduled for next Wednesday, March 7 at 10:00 AM Pacific Time at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco. The company is expected to introduce the iPad 3, as well as an upgraded Apple TV set-top box and perhaps enhancements to its content offerings in support of the iPad 3's ultra-high resolution display and expected 1080p capabilities of the new Apple TV box.

Article Link: New iPad 3 Front Glass Photos Show Black and White Options, Home Button

neilw

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
Black and white options? Home button? Shocking I say. Shocking!

I think the obvious stuff is pretty well established at this point. iPad3 looks like iPad2.

Pricing, CPU, Camera, iPad2 availability, Siri... those are the real question marks right now.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
That home button probably broke some hearts out there.

Pricing, CPU, Camera, iPad2 availability, Siri... those are the real question marks right now.
That CPU and SIRI are the biggest questions in my mind. Can't wait to see what arrives; can't wait for the benchmarks.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Sometimes it is best just to ignore these late rumors.

Obviously Apple is going to have black and white. The rumor of black only probably just applies to the iPad 2 model they will continue to sale.

The entire post about the loss of the 64GB iPad just seems like bad guesses by Digitimes.

Just be smart about this stuff. Think about how Apple has done things with the iOS line for the last 4 years.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I guess it's safe to say the invitation's iPad was in landscape mode

Or at least a mockup that wasn't properly thought out. It wouldn't be the first time; I remember an iPod touch advert that had some horrible reflection problems.

sky1cap

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

FAKE! I can assure you that the iPad 3 has no home button. Believe me...

It uses multi-touch gestures.

This is no joke Im serious.

Last edited:

oHai

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2010
Honestly, they may have just shopped the home button out of the invitation for a "cleaner" look. No one's going to not know it's an iPad because the home button isn't where it should be.

I can see them moving the iPad into iPhone-sales-strategy land, and offering the iPad 2 (maybe in black only) at a $100-150 discount, justifying a slightly increased price for the new one if that's what it comes to...

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

FAKE! I can assure you that the iPad 3 has no home button. Believe me...

It uses multi-touch gestures.

This is no joke Im seriouse.

I can't take anyone seriously who spells serious wrong.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
The fact that the home button is present is not a shock to people that understand:

Marketing Materials != Reality

The sooner you realize that, the sooner you won't be banging your head against the desk trying to explain every little aspect of a promotional image/material.

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
IIR we have so far...

Front screen
Motherboard with A5X, storage, etc
Aluminum case

We are only missing the battery to finally build our iPadnstein 3!

iSolidus

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
I was slowly getting used to the idea of no Home button. Oh well, maybe next iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.