Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
UK
I currently use a Z1 for mostly event videography, largely in nightclubs.
The low light of the Z1 is just about above average (if gain is set to 18db - so too grainy for TV, but with encoding to mpg4, the grain tends to get smoothed out so not that bad for the web). I know a few nightclub shooters who drop the shutter to 1/25 but this leads to a slight stop motion look.

I want a new cam thats great in low light, can be used handheld for approx 4-6 hours on / off (collecting approx 2 hours of footage), flexible with auto focus / exposure as sometimes, its easier to put in auto if doing fast movement on the dancfloor etc..Id also like something that gives great hd image quality - the z1 is just too 'crummy' bless its hdv cotton socks.

Ive used the nx5 before for a fitness dvd shoot and some beach / nightclub shooting (though havent watched the footage back). I do have a soft spot for this cam, the 128gb module means you dont really have to worry about running out of sd cards or tapes in case of z1 set up.

NX5 VS EX1R

Both great in low light - EX1R is better

Handheld - EX1r is heavier - but can this be overcome by using left hand for support, resting cam near head, i sometimes even rest the z1 on my shoulder.
EX1r - Shoulder mount - Is there a mount that is good for crowded events? ie one that folds up, I find i have the camera pointing up to avoid getting lens damage and hitting anyone when moving around not filming.
NX5 - about the same as the z1, little bit bigger, heavier but very similar and I can negate the shoulder rig.

Recording media

NX5 wins but at a cost of heavily compressed avchd? Would 24mbs of a well lit environment be good enough for TV ? The BBC require a min of 35mbps. Ive been speaking to a freind about making a fly on the wall doc, so theres spoke the cam would be used to film for TV.

The ex1r can take 32gb SDHC cards recording 2hours? of footage at 35mbps.
The ex1r doesnt dual record to memory sticks, unlike the nx5 which can back up to a second sd card or the flash module. How reliable is sd recording on the EX1r? using the mxm adapter of course (not the sxs ones)

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I would check with the BBC first before buying as they have an approved list of cameras they will accept footage from (if your plan is to do something for them one day).

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
The EX1 is BBC approved, the NX isn't - sensor size and codec.
Be careful when buying the MXM adaptor. There's a lot of crap on the market. Get the one from Sony.
A heavier is better for hand holding. You should use two hands in any way (those are now palm recorders).
There are shoulder mounts for both cameras. The one from Sony is five hundred some dollar, but there are third party mounts all over the place - e.g. Spiderbrace.
Are you gonna rent the cam? If so, I'd look into the EX3. It has a faux shoulder mount like my good, old XL1. I'm not sure, though, if those MXM thingies will work with it.

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
UK
I went with the ex3 - bigger and heavier than the nx5, more so than the z1 but its actually really excellent amd comfortabke for handheld shooting / event run and gun - better than the nx5 and WOW! Great in low light, nice colour reproduction amd just all round top camera (bar the cheap plastic and dodgy tripod plate).
I took the z1 along for my first nightclub shoot - omg the difference - pretty much just wanted to chuck the crappy z1 in the bin there amd then!!

1st ex3 shoot - http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=U6J5eNTss38&desktop_uri=/watch?v=U6J5eNTss38

Slow mo - had to be done really!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.