Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abs9986

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Hey all,

I've had my iPhone 4s for some time now and I absolutely love it. My question relates to notification center/reminders/calendar. My problem with notification center is that I have no indication when to check it. I know this may sound stupid, but on my android you would actually see a little notification symbol in the top bar which indicated hey I should check my notifications. Is there something like that for iOS?

Also, I have the same issue with reminders and calendar events that I create. I know that I can set a reminder for calendar events so that 10min before it's due i'll get a reminder. But what I want is an actual reminder in the top bar or the way it works for mail where I have "1" listed. This way I would know that I have a calendar event or reminder in my to do's that I would check.

Thanks for your feedback.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Hey all,

I've had my iPhone 4s for some time now and I absolutely love it. My question relates to notification center/reminders/calendar. My problem with notification center is that I have no indication when to check it. I know this may sound stupid, but on my android you would actually see a little notification symbol in the top bar which indicated hey I should check my notifications. Is there something like that for iOS?

Also, I have the same issue with reminders and calendar events that I create. I know that I can set a reminder for calendar events so that 10min before it's due i'll get a reminder. But what I want is an actual reminder in the top bar or the way it works for mail where I have "1" listed. This way I would know that I have a calendar event or reminder in my to do's that I would check.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ss far as i know there isn't. The really only way is to check it constantly or remember that you had a reminder.

You can also make sure you notifications show up in your lock screen. which can help, but i'm pretty sure they get removed from your lock screen once you unlock your phone.

I took off all the badge symbols on all my apps and put it to notification center only, otherwise i would never use it. I figured that out within the first 2 days of having iOS 5 was that i wasn't using the notification center because i still saw all my badges.

Chris230291

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
You can add notification symbols to your status bar if you jailbreak your device.

The tweak is called OpenNotifier. You configure it in the settings app.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Judging from what's coming with mountain lion there will be a notifications indicator coming in a future update. We just don't know when.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/features.html#notifications

You can see the icon in the status bar on the right of the spotlight magnifying glass. Basically they're using something on the desktop OS to show the exact thing you are talking about and Apple likes to keep features pretty similar across the OS's.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
In settings > notifications, you can set up any number of variables for notifications (other than a symbol in the notification bar) for all the things. Each eligible app has several options, including "none", banner notification (which flash at the top of your screen) or alerts that sit mid-screen until you dismiss them. Also, you can add a badge where the number is displayed and a "view in lockscreen" option.

Even with these selections, they will stay in the notification panel after you unlock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.