Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 1, 2012, 03:33 PM   #1
lowonthe456
macrumors 6502

Time Machine backups...to the cloud?

I am new to this, but since I have a MBA, drive space is a concern.

I'm curious to back up my core system (about 20gb) to the cloud instead of a Time Capsule. I have a free dropbox account, I have looked at Mozy and iDrive.

Anyone do this? Would Time Machine make a local backup and then sync it?

I obviously don't want it back up to the main drive..

Point me in the right direction?
lowonthe456 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Bear
macrumors G3

If you want to be able to restore your system using Time Machine after the HD has been replaced (or other issues), you will need a proper Time Machine backup.

Some place in the cloud is good for a second backup away from your house. It will be somewhat slow to back up to and restore from.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 04:47 PM   #3
lowonthe456
macrumors 6502

Yes, it would only be for hard drive failure.

I guess I'll just keep in on an external.....I'm dreaming of a world without local storage
lowonthe456 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Arne
macrumors regular

check out dollydrive. as mentioned earlier, this will probably be very slow (depending on the amount of data you back up and the upload bandwidth of your internet connection).
I don't use it myself
Arne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 09:42 AM   #5
chemistry76
macrumors member

I use Backblaze. $5 a month for unlimited storage backup. If you have a catastrophic failure you can either download your data for free, or pay them some $$ and they will mail you a USB thumb or HDD with your data on it.

I like having my data in 3 places. My local machine, my Time Capsule backup, and Backblaze. So if I have a total loss tragedy, my irreplaceable data (pictures, home videos of my daughter, etc.) are safe.
chemistry76 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:13 AM   #6
jsolares
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemistry76 View Post
I use Backblaze. $5 a month for unlimited storage backup. If you have a catastrophic failure you can either download your data for free, or pay them some $$ and they will mail you a USB thumb or HDD with your data on it.

I like having my data in 3 places. My local machine, my Time Capsule backup, and Backblaze. So if I have a total loss tragedy, my irreplaceable data (pictures, home videos of my daughter, etc.) are safe.
I also use backblaze, and i also have a free dropbox with some stuff i want to keep synched between the iMac, Air, and a Windows VMWare image.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Ben S
macrumors newbie

Crashplan does my offsite and Time Machine does my boot disk. I sleep very well at night.

Crashplan by itself won't do a system-level restore, though. You need local storage for that if you want to be able to boot off it, Time Machine to a local disk is really your only option. OTOH, with the 2011+ machines' ability to install the OS over the air from Apple, it's conceivable you could do an OS restore OTA and then use Crashplan or another cloud backup solution to pull your user data down without any local disk at all.

If you have a Time Capsule or Air Port Extreme you can avoid actually having to physically wire your MBA to your backup drive... but that's still only an on-premises backup so it's not perfect. You need both on-prem and off-site to be completely covered.
Ben S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:32 AM   #8
jmmo20
macrumors 6502a

I would love a cloud time machine backup.
Yes, there's Dolly Drive, but it works horrendously bad, as in their software is poorly designed and crashes often.
jmmo20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air