Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zweimeter

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
OK, first of all, did you know that tactile display technology is already existing and working in tablet form, on batteries? You really have to watch this video:

http://cnettv.cnet.com/senseg-demos-prototype-touch-feedback-technology/9742-1_53-50115714.html
(if the link above doesn't work for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X-9-57qG9Y )

So, as you can see, this technology is real, and not even in some beta stage anymore but really working in a tablet and, as the Senseg guy said, to be released in consumer products within the next 12 months. That was in November 2011.

My guess is that the line "...And touch" and the finger on the photo in the iPad-event-invitation are referring to this very technology. And if you think about it, this really makes sense:
Why would Apple show the retina display (and lack of home button (if the iPad isn't held upside down)) in the invitation, if there isn't something more important to be revealed.

Well, if you ask me, we get to feel what we are touching on the iPad.
For example in Garageband, you could really feel the instruments, feel the friction of knobs and sliders.
In a painting software you would feel the paint, when writing stuff you would feel the keys of the keyboard. In games you would get a sense where the buttons and sticks (circlepads) are without having to look. In iBooks you would really get the sensation of turning paper pages. In combination with AppleTV you'd have the perfect gaming controller (and mic for Siri) because you could feel the buttons displayed on the iPad and so on. You get the point.
This kind of technology makes the experience so much more immersive and graspable. It's the missing link between touch displays and the user.
Maybe it doesn't come with the iPad 3, but it will for sure be implemented in every touch device of the future.

Also interesting to note is that a technology similar to Senseg's is developed by Disney (yes the Disney where Steve Jobs was a member of the board of directors!)

http://www.disneyresearch.com/research/projects/hci_teslatouch_drp.htm

So tell me, why wouldn't Apple implement it? Battery drainage? Well, remember, the electro static field is only generated around the spot where the fingers touch, and only when they touch. So this shouldn't be a problem.
Cost maybe? I think Apple has the production quantities for reducing that to a minimum.
And the Senseg guy himself said, we would see the technology implemented in consumer products within the next 12 months.
And why oh why the mysterious "And touch" comment. Why do we really have to touch it? And why the finger in the photo?

EDIT: TaKashMoney pointed out that Apple itself holds a patent on such technology since April 2009 (!):
http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._haptic_feedback_for_multi_touch_devices.html
This means they are investigating on this at least for the last 3 years, probably a little longer.
So now we know that Apple is obviously interested in haptic feedback. And since the patent is 3 years old, it should be mature enough by now.

EDIT 2: Some interesting facts about Senseg's technology:

- You can even feel the effect from a small distance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Yv-R1IzNYPc#t=187s

- When used frequently, it reduces battery life around 5%
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_11yYgt-h84#t=288s

Actually the whole GizmoFusion video is worth watching, it sums up a good bunch of information plus you can see the Senseg guy struggling not to mention Apple, haha. :p ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_11yYgt-h84&t=6m31s )

Last edited:

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Maybe that explains why all their new apps have that fake material texture. The CNET video is interesting when he's feeling concrete, leather, etc.

I think the one factor that matters to Apple isn't cost or battery life. It's just how good/realistic it performs.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
Even if they were considering it They wouldn't waste a feature. If the only difference is a retina display it will still be a huge success.

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
I like this thought. A lot. But I doubt it will come in the 3 since there hasn't been any hardware leaks of the sort to run this type of technology.

Zweimeter

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
I like this thought. A lot. But I doubt it will come in the 3 since there hasn't been any hardware leaks of the sort to run this type of technology.

Watch the videos, they have already built tablets with it!

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Somebody give this guy an analyst job and a paycheck. This is prediction is way more unique and interesting than the ones those idiot "analysts" throw out every day. Are you paying attention to this DIGITIMES?

Question: would this technology help at all with using a stylus?

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
Hardware leaks are garbage and more times than not fake. This is interesting tech. But without seeing, using, and knowing more details it means nothing.

Touchscreens need a tactile element to them. As this would help elevate them to the next level. GOOD FIND!

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
Somebody give this guy an analyst job and a paycheck. This is prediction is way more unique and interesting than the ones those idiot "analysts" throw out every day. Are you paying attention to this DIGITIMES?

Question: would this technology help at all with using a stylus?

well said!

Good eye for tech sir! ;)

icerailson

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
Great thread! Although you might just make me really disappointed the 7th :p If it won't be implented in iPad3 I'd maybe be better off not knowing about this technology ;)

tehBrad

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wow, what a cool technology. I hope this is what they implement, how cool would it be to actually feel keys on the keyboard maybe or just general textures. Whatever happens, I just want the ipad3 to come out!! Been iPad'less for a month

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I don't doubt this will come to the iPad some day, but I feel like it isn't mature enough yet for Apple to roll with it.

Apple is well known for waiting until a technology is mature to include it in their products.

With all of that said, if it shows up on the iPad 3, I will be ecstatic.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
The TelsaTouch has been demoing for sometime (2010). There is a good chance Apple may shock us with it.

If this ends up in an Apple product soon. You (OP) will show that these tech reporters are just trained monkeys.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Very interesting video.

Question: Would Apple view this as a gimmick?

Also we know that Apple likes to wait for tech to mature before adding it to their products. In this case however I can see Apple being a leader rather than follower.

Steve Jobs always talked about immersion, this technology would definitely add an immersive layer in the user experience.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Steve Jobs also hated Haptic Feedback.

Steve Jobs also had a habit of changing his stance 180 degrees regularly when it suited the products/features he wanted to release.

Steve Jobs is also no longer the CEO or Chairman of the Board of Apple.

I'm not saying those two things are proof it is happening. I am saying that mentioning Steve's preferences (is that even confirmed?) don't mean much now.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
Steve Jobs also had a habit of changing his stance 180 degrees regularly when it suited the products/features he wanted to release.

Steve Jobs is also no longer the CEO or Chairman of the Board of Apple.

I'm not saying those two things are proof it is happening. I am saying that mentioning Steve's preferences (is that even confirmed?) don't mean much now.

It means more than your opinion. Just because he is dead does not mean his soul does not live on with Apple. Also this is just wishful thinking at this point.

Identity Fraud

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
I'd like it if the iPad 3 would respond to touch pressure, it would make painting apps that much more functional.

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
It means more than your opinion. Just because he is dead does not mean his soul does not live on with Apple. Also this is just wishful thinking at this point.

I would think that his wishes are taken with even more consideration given that he cannot physically defend them himself.

It's obvious that Steve left a plan for Apple. If he liked this technology, he plan out a future for its implementation.

That being said, I do think it is a bit of a stretch to hope for this in the iPad 3.

I will admit that there is a bit of mystery to the "And touch," sentence included in the invitation. The grammer is a bit jarring for an Apple tagline, and it is already obvious that the event is about the iPad 3, given the graphic.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Good find OP. While I doubt this makes it into iPad 3 (would love to be wrong though), the tech is something to keep an eye on. Was wondering what else Apple could do display wise once they had Retina... think we may have our answer.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Maybe...........it does....... :/

The invitation says "something you have to see....and TOUCH"... !!!

~(•.•)~

zp3dd4

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
Very interesting find! Especially since Apple's invitation specifically mentions touch. They could have just left it at something to see if the main feature was the retina display.

Emoo

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Texas
I would be really interested in this technology for art. It could simulate different paper textures and paint, like the Dinsey video mentioned. It does seem a little gimmicky though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.