Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With a Retina iPad 3 expected just next week, one developer has created a small utility that allows the iPad simulator to run in 2X mode. The utility is available from Ryan Petrich.

In order to run it on the latest version of Xcode, you will need to symlink /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer to /Developer and /Developer4.

Meanwhile, stroughtonsmith shows how his app SameGame looks in the Retina iPad emulator running on his 27" iMac:

Click on image to see full size.

Apple is widely expected to release a Retina-enabled iPad 3 next week at their media event. If rumors are to believed, the iPad 3 should be available within a week or so of the announcement. That would leave developers little time to Retina-ize their current iPad apps if they wait until the day of the announcement.

Article Link: Hack Allows Developers to Start Testing iPad Retina Display in iOS Simulator

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Perhaps not - but it's true, we'll all be left to scramble if they announce a @2x. Could be....interesting.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
could a worse example be chosen?

Y8deX.jpg

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Why do I find it so funny that it can't even be fully displayed on a 27" screen...

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Why do I find it so funny that it can't even be fully displayed on a 27" screen...

Not only that, but the pixel density isn't the same. So even if it fit properly, you still wouldn't get the full effect.

I've been nudging our college to upgrade the classroom display equipment. Many classrooms have projectors with 800x600 resolution. With more teachers adopting iPads and wanting to display the contents, the current equipment will prove woefully inadequate.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
WOW...buttony, color thingys.

I want to buy a lot of whatever that is.

Maybe as an example go the amazingness of Retina display...not so good.:rolleyes: :D

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
Hey - look at the upper right of his title bar!

I recognize the bluetooth and wireless, but what are all those other icons? What kind of really cool software does this person have?

Drooolllll.....

JohnNH

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

SameGame caused a reboot of my iPhone 4 nice example

.BMD

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
I recognize the bluetooth and wireless, but what are all those other icons? What kind of really cool software does this person have?

Drooolllll.....
(from left)

1st is Google Music
3rd is Twitterrific
5th is Drop Box
10th is iChat

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
But is this hack actually correct. It seems like it isn't. From the description this emulator is making the pixels double the size akin to the blowing up of an iPhone app on an iPad. But that isn't what the retina screen does. It's more like cutting the pixels in half to shove more into the same space.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

charlituna said:
But is this hack actually correct. It seems like it isn't. From the description this emulator is making the pixels double the size akin to the blowing up of an iPhone app on an iPad. But that isn't what the retina screen does. It's more like cutting the pixels in half to shove more into the same space.

To view the rumoured four times the number of pixels, you need to double the width and height - which is exactly what is being done here. Density is hardware based (ie. the physical number of pixels per inch).

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
Ugh, hopefully it doesn't take some app developers 2 years to update to retina for te iPad like it did with the iPhone. Lame.

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL

You're correct in what retina is, but remember that it is based on the actual screen. Therefore, if your screen doesn't support the resolution for the physical size of the screen, the only thing it can do is blow it up twice the size (which is what the iPhone 4 emulator does right now).

It's equivalent in terms of development (like making sure you have 2x versions of your images and whatnot).

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Ugh, hopefully it doesn't take some app developers 2 years to update to retina for te iPad like it did with the iPhone. Lame.

Even longer, likely... :mad:

Honestly, I'm concerned what this means for Universal Apps. iPhone 4 and iPad were close to the same resolution, now with the iPad greatly outpacing the iPhone's resolution, what devs are going to spend tons of time making Universal apps when they will want to recoup that cost by doing what Square-Enix, Rovio, etc companies do, make a higher priced "HD" iPad app instead of the Universal one. :(

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I don't think every app needs to be in retina resolution. iBook and Kindle is a must but many others, people won't care. OK, I don't care.

SandmanNet

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2012
You're correct in what retina is, but remember that it is based on the actual screen. Therefore, if your screen doesn't support the resolution for the physical size of the screen, the only thing it can do is blow it up twice the size (which is what the iPhone 4 emulator does right now).

No it doesn't. The iOS simulator runs retina apps in full retina resolution. It doesn't double pixels unless the app doesnt support retina.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
This made me think that Apple might have some new fangled way of using an actual iPad 3 tethered to a Mac as a live iPad simulator, in the new SDK for developing on the iPad 3.

----------

I don't think every app needs to be in retina resolution. iBook and Kindle is a must but many others, people won't care. OK, I don't care.

Every App needs to run the native resolution of the display its built for. /End of story.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
"Originally Posted by .BMD
(from left)

1st is Google Music
3rd is Twitterrific
5th is Drop Box
10th is iChat"

9th is 1Password

Using Google reverse Image search (images.google.com) I figured that the the:
4th is to initiate the Air Video Server and
7th is the Mac AirVideo Client.app?

(Publicly known stuff reported on the web)

ghostlines

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Amsterdam
Think you'll have to really have a retina display to truly see the diff.
Here's hoping for an iMac retina display refresh in somewhere in April.:D

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
No it doesn't. The iOS simulator runs retina apps in full retina resolution. It doesn't double pixels unless the app doesnt support retina.

That's what I thought, which seems to be the opposite of this app and how it claims to be showing you the right details. But it isn't right. What they doing is basically the same as taking the same image and changing the resolution of your display. Really seeing the difference is more like taking the same image on the same display and changing it from 72dpi to 150dpi, cramming more and smaller info in the same space (making a crisper image)

All this tool will do is show you how crappy your app will lookso you'd better make new graphics. Which if that was the intent is great, although good developers will make the safe assumption and the new graphics anyway

anthonylambert

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2002
UK
Seriously, how are developers going to run the simulator for an iPad 3?

It won't fit on most peoples screens! unless your lucky to have an old 30" cinema display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.