Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomascromwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Oxfordshire, UK
Hello, I an new to MacRumors but have registered as I found I was beginning to get somewhere through looking at an earlier thread.

I have two MacBooks:
Black (older) - OS 10.6.8 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo
White (newer) - OS 10.6.8 2 GHz Intel Core Duo

The Black MacBook is used by my wife and children (10,8). I was trying to connect this MacBook to a new HP wireless printer when I found that System Preferences had become corrupted. I have reinstalled the OS from my Snow Leopard disc. I now have System Preferences but have I lost iPhoto.

I have the grey discs from my newer White MacBook. I have tried reinstalling but the Back MacBook does not recognise the discs from the white MacBook.

I do not have the grey discs for the Black MacBook as the OS and applications were factory installed (I believe) - there was a former owner.

Can anyone suggest how I might reinstall iPhoto?

If I go to the Apple Store in Oxford, will I be charged an arm and a leg by them for reinstalling iPhoto?

I would value any help and advice.

Thank you.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You could just buy the newest version of iPhoto from the Mac App Store. You get an upgraded version and save the time and hassle of tracking down or replacing the software restore discs. It's also transferrable to your other MacBook.

thomascromwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Oxfordshire, UK
Thank you. Given that I have in front of me the iPhoto application - but inaccessible - I am loathe to pay again for something I already have! Is there a technical workaround?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I believe that it's possible to call Apple and get replacement restore DVDs sent out for the cost of media and postage. That's probably best in the long run so that you have the DVDs if you need them again.

BurningJah

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Belgium
you have 2 options!
you can download iPhoto from the app store or you could go to your local store and buy the Ilife package!

correct me if I'm wrong

:D

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Thank you. Given that I have in front of me the iPhoto application - but inaccessible - I am loathe to pay again for something I already have! Is there a technical workaround?

There have been two major updates since your MacBook was released! $14.99 to upgrade both of your Macs to the latest version is well worth it. :)

Not sure if it will work, but you could try the obvious and copy iPhoto from one MacBook to the other.

thomascromwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Oxfordshire, UK
Thank you. I have seen mixed reviews re iPhoto '11. Would an earlier version (iPhoto 09?) be fine. I do not all the Facebook etc bells and whistles?

----------

Thank you, Baldimac. I copied the iPhoto application (iPhoto 11) from my newer MacBook via USB flash drive but the older MacBook would not allow me to download it!

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Each mac should have come with 2 restore discs.
The first is a restore disc that can re-install OS X.
The second is an applications disc that can re-install iPhoto, iMovie, etc...

As you've found out, the restore discs from 1 make/model don't work in another.

But there is a way.
Do you have a firewire cable? One will cost less $15 US (not sure what it would cost in the UK).

Macs have a feature called "Target Disk Mode.".
This will let you turn your computer on, but instead of booting it becomes an external hard drive. Just like a big USB thumb drive.
Now you connect the Target Mac to another Mac with a firewire cable. Now the booted computer sees the other computer has an attached drive.

How would that be useful for you?
Boot the Black Mac Book (BMB) into target disk mode.
Connect it to the White Mac Book (WMB).
Reboot the WMB and hold the option key. It will give you a list of bootable partitions. Chose the BMB.

Now you're running the BMB's hard drive and OS on the WMB.
The application restore disc will work on the WMB (which is the computer that is running). So just stick it in and then install the applications.

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
The problem, I believe is rather simple.

COPY the iPhoto application from your white macbook to a USB stick. Then stick it in the black macbook and copy it off the USB stick.

I am pretty darn sure this works. Certainly worked for me once in the past in a similar situation.

I don't really feel there is much of a moral issue on this one. You had an old version of iPhoto on the mac in the first place, you just lost it due to a mistake.

EDIT: just seen that this has been covered. Strange! I am positive I did this once in the past with two of my computers.

Last edited:

birdy1928

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
Os 10.6.8

My iPhoto's doc icon stopped opening the app literally overnight when I tried to add and edit photos this AM. Have tried the force-quit routine and re-booting. The 12,000 accumulated images are visible in the Finder, so they're still living on the HDD and also external TM drive.

Have taken dock icon off and am ready for the next step if somebody kind :) will help me with it.

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.