Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:46 AM   #1
arnoz
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to arnoz
Issue with 2nd Gen Airport Express (the baby Extreme one)

Hi,

I bought a 2nd Gen Airport Express (the one that looks like a baby Extreme one). I set it up to extend the network from an Extreme.

It connects fine, my laptop can connect to the extended network, I see it has roughly 50db of signal and 140MB/s of bandwidth.

Yet, every minute or so I just lose the connection. This happens on all devices at the same time (e.g. cannot browse from Mac or iPhone). I am still connected, can still see the full WiFi icon near the clock on the Mac but there is just no more IP connectivity. I don't have the usual "you are not connected to the Internet" though.

I don't really know what I could do but it just "seems" there is some issue with the fact the sometimes it's using the 5ghz band, sometimes the 2.4 one. In the Airport menu it seems it's switching from one to another.
Airport Utility doesn't report any issue and notes the connection on the remote Express is "excellent".

Thanks!
arnoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:02 PM   #2
omegalink
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoz View Post
Hi,

I bought a 2nd Gen Airport Express (the one that looks like a baby Extreme one). I set it up to extend the network from an Extreme.

It connects fine, my laptop can connect to the extended network, I see it has roughly 50db of signal and 140MB/s of bandwidth.

Yet, every minute or so I just lose the connection. This happens on all devices at the same time (e.g. cannot browse from Mac or iPhone). I am still connected, can still see the full WiFi icon near the clock on the Mac but there is just no more IP connectivity. I don't have the usual "you are not connected to the Internet" though.

I don't really know what I could do but it just "seems" there is some issue with the fact the sometimes it's using the 5ghz band, sometimes the 2.4 one. In the Airport menu it seems it's switching from one to another.
Airport Utility doesn't report any issue and notes the connection on the remote Express is "excellent".

Thanks!
There's a bug in the firmware.
omegalink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:06 AM   #3
arnoz
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to arnoz
THat's what you personally think or you mean it's a known issue?
arnoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking