Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Mar 3, 2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Pieter Claessen
macrumors newbie

Macbook pro with slow boot up

I have a macbook pro 15 inch and he does 1:30 minutes or sometimes 2 to boot up. When I bought the MBP, it had snow leopard on it, but I downloaded Lion immediately. The installation failed the first time, but after the second time it worked. I have done a fresh install of lion and deleted some programs to have some space, but none of these things worked.
Does anyone know what the problem may be?
Pieter Claessen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 04:34 PM   #2
macbook pro i5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter Claessen View Post
I have a macbook pro 15 inch and he does 1:30 minutes or sometimes 2 to boot up. When I bought the MBP, it had snow leopard on it, but I downloaded Lion immediately. The installation failed the first time, but after the second time it worked. I have done a fresh install of lion and deleted some programs to have some space, but none of these things worked.
Does anyone know what the problem may be?
first fix permissions in disk utility then verify disk then repair disk if that doesn't make it faster reinstall lion i was having the same problem after the reinstall it was faster then snow leopard!!!!
macbook pro i5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Pieter Claessen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbook pro i5 View Post
first fix permissions in disk utility then verify disk then repair disk if that doesn't make it faster reinstall lion i was having the same problem after the reinstall it was faster then snow leopard!!!!
I did it, but after I verified the disk, I couldn't repair it... And I tested the boot up time, now it takes 1:10 minutes
it's 10 seconds less but not really that fast I think?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 05:06 PM   #4
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Your current 1:10 doesnít seem extremely long.

I mean, if youíre running a slower HDD, and youíve got a ton of services starting up (especially if youíre running a media server that scans directories, etc.), itís not unreasonable. Is everything else running fine? Apps starting up quickly? No SBBODs?
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 05:08 PM   #5
/user/me
Banned

Quote:
Doesn't sound like a disk permissions issue... Sounds like possibly faulty RAM, or a hard drive going bad. Do you have a SSD in the MBP
/user/me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Pieter Claessen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Your current 1:10 doesnít seem extremely long.

I mean, if youíre running a slower HDD, and youíve got a ton of services starting up (especially if youíre running a media server that scans directories, etc.), itís not unreasonable. Is everything else running fine? Apps starting up quickly? No SBBODs?
The apps doesn't start up that fast, sometimes he doesn't react for a long time...
How can I check what services start up by starting up the MBP?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by /user/me View Post
Doesn't sound like a disk permissions issue... Sounds like possibly faulty RAM, or a hard drive going bad. Do you have a SSD in the MBP
I don't know if it has an SSD when you buy it, but i didn't placed anything in it my MBP, so I guess not...
Old Mar 3, 2012, 05:27 PM   #7
macbook pro i5
Banned

Quote:
The apps doesn't start up that fast, sometimes he doesn't react for a long time...
How can I check what services start up by starting up the MBP?

----------

I don't know if it has an SSD when you buy it, but i didn't placed anything in it my MBP, so I guess not...
in that case back up your mac then reinstall lion,to do this you must restart the computer but before the chime hold the option key it should give you two options Macintosh HD and Recovery disk select recovery disk go to reinstall lion then choose Macintosh HD when it asks where you want to install it might take an hour though so be patient!!!
Old Mar 3, 2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Pieter Claessen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
in that case back up your mac then reinstall lion,to do this you must restart the computer but before the chime hold the option key it should give you two options Macintosh HD and Recovery disk select recovery disk go to reinstall lion then choose Macintosh HD when it asks where you want to install it might take an hour though so be patient!!!
I did that about 3 hours ago, and it didn't worked,should I do it again?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 05:31 PM   #9
/user/me
Banned

Quote:
I did that about 3 hours ago, and it didn't worked,should I do it again?
Nope. Take it into the store. They'll be able to tell you for sure what's going on.
/user/me is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 05:34 PM   #10
macbook pro i5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by /user/me View Post
Nope. Take it into the store. They'll be able to tell you for sure what's going on.
Yea he is right we can't help you that sounds like a hardware failure?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 02:26 AM   #11
Pieter Claessen
macrumors newbie

Ok, I'll do that
Thanks for your help!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro