Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Mar 3, 2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Anthony T
macrumors 6502a

MacBook won't charge...MagSafe adapter or battery?

When I plug the MagSafe adapter in, my MacBook doesn't charge. Sometimes if I keep unplugging it and putting it back in, it will do it. I noticed that the white rubber on the adapter seems a little worn and some of the wires are exposed on the end. I don't have another adapter to troubleshoot the issue, but do you think it's the adapter or my MBP needs a new battery?
Anthony T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 03:27 PM   #2
/user/me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony T View Post
When I plug the MagSafe adapter in, my MacBook doesn't charge. Sometimes if I keep unplugging it and putting it back in, it will do it. I noticed that the white rubber on the adapter seems a little worn and some of the wires are exposed on the end. I don't have another adapter to troubleshoot the issue, but do you think it's the adapter or my MBP needs a new battery?
What do you mean by it doesn't charge? Is there no light on the charger, or just a green light..?
/user/me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Anthony T
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by /user/me View Post
What do you mean by it doesn't charge? Is there no light on the charger, or just a green light..?
It doesn't light up at all and doesn't charge. I think it's the adapter though, because when I move the wire to a certain position, it works properly.
Anthony T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 03:45 PM   #4
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
It doesn't light up at all and doesn't charge. I think it's the adapter though, because when I move the wire to a certain position, it works properly.
Certainly sounds like the charger (specifically a short in the cord). Seems like a simple thing to test if you’ve got another Mac, a friend with a Mac, or an Apple store close by!
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 03:45 PM   #5
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

Quote:
Sometimes if I keep unplugging it and putting it back in, it will do it.
This leads me to believe it's the adapter or the PMU, not the battery.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 05:50 PM   #6
kevink2
macrumors 6502a

About a month ago mine acted up. I noticed the computer was dead, and the green light didn't come on. I gambled and bought a new one off of Amazon, and it worked with that. If it hadn't fixed it, I would at least have had a spare after I had my computer fixed.
kevink2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 06:23 AM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
See the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:49 PM   #8
Chimene
macrumors newbie

Charge icon has a x through it, not charging

Quote:
I had this same problem, I did all the trouble shooting and nothing worked. Then it dawned on me to take the cover off the bottom which houses the battery and unplug the battery for a few minutes.... TADAAAAAA that fixed it. My charging icon now reads the time required to come to full charge and the x is gone.

Don't be afraid to remove the cover, just put your lap top on a towel on the table and place screws next to each hole. The battery tab which you will have to pull apart is small with pins

I'm only posting this for the latest users with the same issue.

Good luck
Chimene is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:12 AM   #9
chrischris74
macrumors newbie

Power adapter 60W macbook pro

Hi,
I am looking for the schematic of the power adapter 60W
A transistor is off and I can not read its value.
Thank you for your help.
chrischris74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:36 AM   #10
JoJo Zzang
macrumors member

Another thing to do - I've always had this happen from time to time. One thing that was suggested by Apple was to Safe Boot my Mac. It worked. Just one thing you might want to check before replacing a battery.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro