Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM   #1
LaurentR2D2
macrumors newbie

Strange display effects

Hello,

I've experienced some strange problems on my display. I've launched an application and its window was filled with a patchworks of pictures. Only the application window was affected. I've tried to launch another application, and the problem has occurred the same way. In fact all the parts of the screen I wouldn't touch didn't have any problem. The problem would occur only if I launched an application, or in a safari tab I would reload. I've tried on the two screens attached to my computer. The problem has disappeared after a reboot of my computer. I have a Mac Pro rev 1,1 with Mavericks installed using the Tiamo boot.efi and an ATI Radeon HHD 4870 / 512 Mb VRAM. Should I worry for my graphic card ? If yes, what should I look for as replacement ? It seems difficult to find this card second hand.

Thank you
LaurentR2D2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM   #2
Macsonic
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to Macsonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentR2D2 View Post
Hello,

I've experienced some strange problems on my display. I've launched an application and its window was filled with a patchworks of pictures. Only the application window was affected. I've tried to launch another application, and the problem has occurred the same way. In fact all the parts of the screen I wouldn't touch didn't have any problem. The problem would occur only if I launched an application, or in a safari tab I would reload. I've tried on the two screens attached to my computer. The problem has disappeared after a reboot of my computer. I have a Mac Pro rev 1,1 with Mavericks installed using the Tiamo boot.efi and an ATI Radeon HHD 4870 / 512 Mb VRAM. Should I worry for my graphic card ? If yes, what should I look for as replacement ? It seems difficult to find this card second hand.

Thank you
You may try removing the GPU and blowing off any dust on the card and inside your Mac Pro. Then reinstall the card and see if the problem goes away. Best to have an extra GPU on hand for future troubleshooting. The Ati Radeon 5770 or 5870 would be fine.
Macsonic is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro