Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:40 AM   #1
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

facetime from my phone to my computer

I want to be able to facetime from my iphone to my imac or ipad. I could have sworn this was working right but now it doesn't. I get a busy message no matter which device I start the facetime with. I think the problem has something to do with my iphone facetime setting saying verifying next to my phone number and has now defaulted to using my email for facetiming. Since that's what my ipad/imac use, a call can't be placed. Does anyone know how to fix this? Should I be able to use my phone to facetime to my pad or mac (can I use the same email on both and which ever device I'm using, will take the facetime call.) Any help or tutorials on facetiming would be appreciated. Did a google search and tried all this restriction stuff but it didn't help.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:46 AM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I think you will have to activate it using your iphone's phone number on your phone.
You cant use the same email/apple ID to call yourself.
You cant be the caller and receiver at the same time using the same account.
Unless you make a new apple ID on your iphone to call your other email account on your macs or ipad etc...
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:48 AM   #3
ObuckiO
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
I want to be able to facetime from my iphone to my imac or ipad. I could have sworn this was working right but now it doesn't. I get a busy message no matter which device I start the facetime with. I think the problem has something to do with my iphone facetime setting saying verifying next to my phone number and has now defaulted to using my email for facetiming. Since that's what my ipad/imac use, a call can't be placed. Does anyone know how to fix this? Should I be able to use my phone to facetime to my pad or mac (can I use the same email on both and which ever device I'm using, will take the facetime call.) Any help or tutorials on facetiming would be appreciated. Did a google search and tried all this restriction stuff but it didn't help.
From my iphone; I FT to my macbook by calling my email address. (which is a saved contact on iphone & macbook)
ObuckiO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 09:11 AM   #4
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
I think you will have to activate it using your iphone's phone number on your phone.
You cant use the same email/apple ID to call yourself.
You cant be the caller and receiver at the same time using the same account.
Unless you make a new apple ID on your iphone to call your other email account on your macs or ipad etc...
Yes, I need to deactivate my apple id and activate my phone number but i can't figure out how.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:11 AM   #5
ObuckiO
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
Yes, I need to deactivate my apple id and activate my phone number but i can't figure out how.
I not sure if this is what your meaning in your post, but are you trying to activate your phone from Mac? If so, I think i added my own phone# as a contact on my iphone...Then it transfered to my MacBook by syncing, in which now on FaceTime(on Mac), i have my iphone as a contact and can call it.
ObuckiO is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObuckiO View Post
I not sure if this is what your meaning in your post, but are you trying to activate your phone from Mac? If so, I think i added my own phone# as a contact on my iphone...Then it transfered to my MacBook by syncing, in which now on FaceTime(on Mac), i have my iphone as a contact and can call it.
No I'm trying to FaceTime between my iPhone and iMac. When I call from my phone it says called is busy. When I go from iMac to iPhone, it works fine.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObuckiO View Post
From my iphone; I FT to my macbook by calling my email address. (which is a saved contact on iphone & macbook)
Me too but I can't go the other way, iPhone to iMac
Mac'nCheese is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Ok just got the answer from the apple forums. I needed to click on my apple Id and that let me sign out of using my email for FaceTime.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting