Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi. I just have some comparison shots between my 4S vs my friends 4. I was wondering which screen is actually closer to what should be displayed.

Left: iPhone 4 (GSM), White, 32GB (not sure, but was pre-loaded with iOS 4)
Right: iPhone 4S, Black, 64GB (Week 6, 2012)

1. Settings (Brightness setting)
DSC04515.JPG

I know I should've turned Auto-Brightness set to "OFF" but they both pretty much were at the same brightness.

As you can see the 4 is "cool" and the 4S "warm"

2. Safari (blank page)
DSC04518.JPG

This is what confuses me. With the two different coloured looking displays, the Safari interface has either an either really blue (4) vs the blue grey colour on the 4S.

3. Safari 2
DSC04513.JPG

Shot from a distance.

4. Home Screen
DSC04517.JPG

Same home screen wallpaper. You can see the blue wallpaper is much more "blue" on the 4.

If you look at the greys (camera app) you can see one the 4 looks silver and the 4S is grey.

If you look at the whites (calendar icon) the white is a bit brighter on the 4S.

Looking at yellows, the 4S is more yellow and less orange. However, looking at the Weather icon, the yellow on the 4S actually brings out the sun and the contrast seems to be a bit better (?)

However, the YouTube app and Reminders app seem to have more contrast on the 4.

5. Settings menu
DSC04516.JPG

If you look at all the icons on the left, you see that the contrast (like on the Weather icon) on the 4S shows the gloss shine semi-circle thing while it's more subtle on the 4.
Here is a screenshot of the Settings menu. Here you can use your calibrated monitor to view what should be the correct colour.

IMG_0082.PNG

So, my question is, which display is more accurate to what is supposed to be displayed?

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
There are a billion threads on this very thing. There is nothing wrong with your phone, enjoy it and move on with life.

Some screens are warmer (more yellow) than others (more white/blue). Neither is better or more appropriate. Some like warm, some like cool.

xas

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
Your 4s screen seems ok, not too warm. As posted before neither is better or more appropriate.

Way better than my 4s ...

Attachments

• iphone1.jpg
    iphone1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 997

Fudd

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
Take a picture of some colorful object on both phones, then compare all 3 side-by-side.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
My Iphone 4 was a different colour to the 4S too it's just the way the screen is. You have to be very fussy to go around picking screens.

Why are you resisting? If you bought a flat screen TV, and the display came out yellow, you would take it back in a heartbeat. I've protested against this, and have been shot down numerous times. This is a flaw, you can't deny that.

Chris230291

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
You have a yellow screen moddel. I had a nice cool iPhone screen until i had to have it replaced, with a yellow screen :( I ****ing hate them! But the good news is there is a tweak in cydia called colour profiles, it lets you change the colour of the screen. i use it to make by screen look blue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXiZD5L-0GA

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
neither is wrong but I would say the 4S is closer, you'll only notice it once you put it near another screen. I have f.lux and this proves that, I never notice it get warmer, I just notice it get easier on the eyes

(f.lux makes the display warmer as it becomes night time, making it less tiring on the eyes, its a jailbreak tweak. Also available for OS X)

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
As I said in the last one of these threads:

The screens just have a different colour temperature. Look here: a guy actually measured the colour temperature of his iPhone 4 ("blue") and 4S ("yellow") using a spectrophotometer. The 4S screen is indeed a lower colour temperature (warmer, more "yellow") than the 4 but it's closer to the 6500K standard (used by the sRGB colour profile etc. as he explains in his post) than the 4 is. That means that the "yellow" screen is actually more accurate for colour reproduction (based on commonly-used standards) than the blue one: it is not faulty.

Now, can we please put this one to bed?

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'll make use of the yellow screen. It's useful for pointing out to those arrogant iPhone bullies, that their phone is not perfect.

The undeserving pride these people give to their phones is disgusting. Especially when people misuse it. Jumping up and down like a bunch of monkeys for Siri who's said those age old lines.

It's a sad and terrible scene.

Chris230291

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
You can say the yellow is better for whatever reason all day long, but i still think the blue is much nicer to look at.

Also i noticed the difference as soon as i got my screen repaired, i didn't have to see them side by side to see the difference.

Using the colour profile tweak i mentioned above WILL allow you to achieve the same effect as the "blue" screen on your yellow one. Or any colour pretty much. The only difference i can see after applying a new profile, is that the max brightness is not as bright. But the colour and everything looks the same.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Why are you resisting? If you bought a flat screen TV, and the display came out yellow, you would take it back in a heartbeat. I've protested against this, and have been shot down numerous times. This is a flaw, you can't deny that.

That the too-blue one is too far off spec? Yeah, that probably is a flaw. They should've made it more yellow.

Oh, wait, you like the blue better?

This is the problem with complaining about subjective things. No matter which way they make it someone's going to be upset. But seeing as how you prefer the 'flawed' one more, you should probably stop complaining about it, lest they actually listen to you and stop making the cooler screens that you prefer.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Looking at my Mac's calibration tool, it seems the 4 has set to "9300" vs the 4S "D50". Do graphic designers really use a warmer display as opposed to cooler ones?

Screen%2520Shot%25202012-03-11%2520at%25201.34.48%2520PM.jpg

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
relax, its only a phone...in a year or so you will more than likely have the iphone 5...and a whole new set of things to obsess about.

Pathfinder3

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
Okinawa, JP
Also you have to realize, your friends screen been on displaying different colors a lot longer than yours. Gotta give your 4S time to break in before doing a side-by-side comparison.

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
I compared four different iOS devices and they all were different. I set the brightness to 50% on Auto. I tested the lock screen, which shows the the full brightness before it adjusts in the lock screen.

-iPhone 4S (16gb) - Warm, Yellow white.
-iPhone 4S (32gb) - Warmest of the bunch. Yellow white. I could tell the iPhone 4S's apart.
-iPhone 4 (32gb) -Coolest of the bunch. Blue-white. In a sense, after comparing it with the 16gb iPhone 4S, the 4 looks unnaturally blue or the 4S looks unnaturally yellow depending on which I stare at longer.
-iPod Touch (4th Generation) (32gb) (A bit warmer ... with a strange tinge of red that's probably due to not being the same kind of display type as the iPhone 4/4S.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I find it funny that this comparison has popped up every time a new iPhone comes out. The iPhone 3G came out, people noticed it had a warmer calibration than the original. The 3GS came out, again people noticed it had a warmer tint than the 3G. The iPhone 4 came out and the same thing. And now the same thing for the 4S vs 4.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
iPhone 4 and 4s share the same screen, identical specs.

Exactly. Both the 4 and the 4S are spec'd identically, so any difference in color comes from one of three possibilities:

- The 4S screen just hasn't had as much time to break in.
- There's a software calibration difference between the two.
- Apple switched manufacturers of the display panel while the 4 was the latest phone, I believe. If so, the early 4 will likely look somewhat different from the 4S because they're made by different companies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.