Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:10 AM   #1
rayansud
macrumors newbie

Login without password

Hi, I am the sole owner and user of my MBP on OSX 10.7 with no Guest account, but I still have the login screen prompting me for a password. Installers also require a password. It's not urgent but it is annoying and I'd like a way to skip the step of simply pressing enter with a blank field. Thanks!
rayansud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:12 AM   #2
grapes911

System Preferences --> Users and Groups --> Login Options --> Automatic Login --> Selected User you wish to log in automatically.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:22 AM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayansud View Post
Hi, I am the sole owner and user of my MBP on OSX 10.7 with no Guest account, but I still have the login screen prompting me for a password.
In System Preferences > Security > General, make sure you have UNchecked "Disable automatic login".
Quote:
Installers also require a password.
As for installing apps, you shouldn't try to disable password authentication. It's a security benefit, protecting you from giving an app elevated privileges without your permission. Since most users don't install apps continuously, it's not worth trying to circumvent this protection.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:28 PM   #4
r0k
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Hi, I am the sole owner and user of my MBP on OSX 10.7 with no Guest account, but I still have the login screen prompting me for a password. Installers also require a password. It's not urgent but it is annoying and I'd like a way to skip the step of simply pressing enter with a blank field. Thanks!
My wife doesn't like bothering with passwords. She never installs anything. So I set up her account for automatic login with no password. My account on her machine is the admin account and has a password.

I don't suggest an admin account with no password. I believe you can make your account auto login even if it has a password. But if you still want to make your account have no password, then there are a couple of steps I recommend...

1 - create a new user (you can call it admin if you like)
2 - make that user an admin
3 - give that user a password you easily can remember that's not something trivial like 12345 but not something painful like @HOUO*UE#KJLA- that you have to write on a sticky note which defeats the purpose of having a password in the first place.
4 - now that you have a "back up" admin user, make your account a standard (non admin) user and get rid of your password (if you like).

When you install things, you will get prompted for the admin user's account and password. Believe me it is worth it to keep around an admin account with a password so a visitor or passer by in the coffee shop can't wreak havoc on your mac without needing to know any password whatsoever.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:24 AM   #5
rayansud
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
In System Preferences > Security > General, make sure you have UNchecked "Disable automatic login".

As for installing apps, you shouldn't try to disable password authentication. It's a security benefit, protecting you from giving an app elevated privileges without your permission. Since most users don't install apps continuously, it's not worth trying to circumvent this protection.
I don't mean only installers, but also things like this (ref to what you wrote in the first line):
Old Mar 5, 2012, 01:14 PM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
I don't mean only installers, but also things like this (ref to what you wrote in the first line):
Do you have this box checked? It's in System Preferences > Security > General:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenCap 1.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	327704
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:03 AM   #7
rayansud
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Do you have this box checked? It's in System Preferences > Security > General:
Attachment 327704
nope, unchecked
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:36 AM   #8
professortiki
macrumors newbie

Do not find...

Do not find "--> Users and Groups --> Login Options". Where is that? It only says "Users" here and automatic log in is activated. Yet I am prompted for the password every time.

Last edited by professortiki; Feb 4, 2013 at 01:44 AM.
professortiki is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Tags
installer, login, login screen, password