Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:28 PM   #1
smackbook
macrumors newbie

Apple Earphone compatibility with Nano 3rd Gen

Alright I've read around plenty that the white Apple earphones (with the mic and remote) aren't compatible with the 3rd Gen Nano. Of course they work as just headphones but I wish I could use the remote with it.

This might be a stupid question, but are there any such things as updates for the 3rd Gen Nano to make the remote compatible? If not (which I'm guessing there isn't) they really should do something like that.. Where you can just download an update and all of a sudden the remote can change songs and adjust volume. Has anyone heard of that at all??
smackbook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:55 PM   #2
dXTC
macrumors 68000

The Apple earphones with remote have a slightly different plug, with a different number of metal contacts; this allows for a third separate electrical channel for the remote functions (the first two channels are for left/right audio). In order for the remote function to work, the jack into which it's plugged must have a corresponding third contact as well. I'm not sure whether the 3rd gen nano has this contact in its headphone jack. If it doesn't, then no amount of software updating can compensate for the lack of hardware.
dXTC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Tags
3rd generation, compatibility, earphones, nano