Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Old Oct 24, 2002, 08:35 AM   #1
Mac n' Steve
macrumors newbie

Lightbulb What do you guys think of Windows?

In school, we are always talking about how much Windows sucks!
My friend draws Bill Gates as the devil, its funny as hell. He also makes flash movies(with sound) and its really funny as well. But What do YOU think of windows and how it operates... Try to make it funny and origanal.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 09:01 AM   #2
MarkW19
macrumors 65816

Re: What do you guys think of Windows?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mac n' Steve
In school, we are always talking about how much Windows sucks!
My friend draws Bill Gates as the devil, its funny as hell. He also makes flash movies(with sound) and its really funny as well. But What do YOU think of windows and how it operates... Try to make it funny and origanal.
Well, I'd always be suspicious of an operating sytem that makes you press "START" to shutdown your computer
MarkW19 is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 09:53 AM   #3
sturm375
macrumors 6502

Hard to beat

As much as I dislike MS's tactics, I have to hand it to them. Win2K, and XP are by far the most stable platforms I've seen, if you take into account the vast variaty of hardware they support. Yes OS X, is more stable, but it only runs on Apple Hardware, if MS had as much control over the hardware they supply an OS for, it would not crash as often as it does either.

Regardless, I've had OS 10.1 running on my TiPB for a little over a year now, and only had one hard crash. (It was weird, the whole system froze, and I saw command line stuff over the whole screen). I've been running Win2K on a self built dual Athlon system for 1.5 years, and never had a hard crash.

I like windows because I have control of the hardware, not SJ, nobody else. I can build a system with just about any hardware I want, and Windows will run on it. Linux is great, but it is slow to adapt to newer hardware.
-Dylan Thomas
sturm375 is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 10:07 AM   #4
medea
macrumors 68030

I don't think about Windows, I have a Mac.
Solipsist's Creed:
Zero's company, one's a crowd.
medea is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 11:45 AM   #5
jefhatfield
Retired

Re: Re: What do you guys think of Windows?

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkW19

Well, I'd always be suspicious of an operating sytem that makes you press "START" to shutdown your computer

jefhatfield is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:31 PM   #6
FattyMembrane
macrumors 6502a

if the mac os did not exist, windows might be ok, but when you compare the two side by side, the faults of windows become far more glaring.
FattyMembrane is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:45 PM   #7
jefhatfield
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
if the mac os did not exist, windows might be ok, but when you compare the two side by side, the faults of windows become far more glaring.
and be a pc tech and it becomes obvious bg put windows out to be first and it shows how hastily the whole windows empire was started

there were good operating systems before windows but not with the mindset that the os could be a standalone product worth billions

if anything, bg and paul allen had vision

steve ballmer dropped out from being a founder of microsoft so he could finish his harvard degree...what if ballmer stayed out and decided to be a math professor or something?

...then we would still have to see bg's mug on the tele with the subscript of CEO of microsoft
jefhatfield is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 01:03 PM   #8
medea
macrumors 68030

So Balmer went to Harvard eh, did they teach him the "monkey dance" in his business class?
Solipsist's Creed:
medea is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 01:07 PM   #9
hvfsl
macrumors 68000

I like the Mac OS, but hate Apple Hardware. Windows is just CRAP.
hvfsl is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 03:18 PM   #10
patrick0brien
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to patrick0brien Send a message via Yahoo to patrick0brien
Focus is different

I have and use both OS's

One primary thing I've noticed as a difference between the platforms is that Apple is focused on User Experience and Functionality, whereas Microsoft is focused on the technology.

I realized this when a fellow I used to work with, who is an expert for MS and contributes to the exams for MCSD and MCSE, got all excited that "In XP port x's default is 'closed', so there won't be any security problems with it anymore [woo-hoo!]"

I have a fundamental problem with that. If the emphasis is on the tech, and not the user, the user get's left behind. Key examples are the cold and sometimes accusatory error dialogs: "Because Windows was not properly shut down..." or "This Application has performed an illegal operation..."

Yeah, I know these are details, but then again, it's just icing on a deeper problem.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 03:33 PM   #11
vniow
macrumors 603

Re: Focus is different

Quote:
Originally posted by patrick0brien
I have and use both OS's

One primary thing I've noticed as a difference between the platforms is that Apple is focused on User Experience and Functionality, whereas Microsoft is focused on the technology.

I realized this when a fellow I used to work with, who is an expert for MS and contributes to the exams for MCSD and MCSE, got all excited that "In XP port x's default is 'closed', so there won't be any security problems with it anymore [woo-hoo!]"

I have a fundamental problem with that. If the emphasis is on the tech, and not the user, the user get's left behind. Key examples are the cold and sometimes accusatory error dialogs: "Because Windows was not properly shut down..." or "This Application has performed an illegal operation..."

Yeah, I know these are details, but then again, it's just icing on a deeper problem.

I think Windows wants to focus on the user, but it has so many bugs and holes that it can't help to be more tech oriented.
For example, Linux is like that, only more extreme, it's definately more tech than user oriented, though that is starting to change really quick cuz of new MS policies such as Liscence 6.

As for Windows itself, don't really like it, don't really hate it, just sorta tolerate it, it gets what I need it to so quickly and effeniently, though I would gladly replace it with something a bit more trustworthy.

To be honest, I don't know anybody that actually likes Windows, they're sorta like me, they just tolerate it.
Sux that there's no actual likable, user-friendly OS within my price range.
http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/veronica/damn.gif
vniow is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 03:54 PM   #12
mcrain
Banned

I think windows are necessary, otherwise, how would you know what was going on outside without going out yourself?
mcrain is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 04:10 PM   #13
JupiterZen
macrumors regular

Re: Re: What do you guys think of Windows?

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkW19

That's why I used a resource editor and edited the explorer.exe

Now it says: Stop!
Old Oct 24, 2002, 04:27 PM   #14
JupiterZen
macrumors regular

Re: Re: Re: What do you guys think of Windows?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stop.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	3100  
Old Oct 24, 2002, 04:28 PM   #15
beez7777
macrumors 6502a

DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS!

'nuff siad
beez7777 is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 04:43 PM   #16
vniow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally posted by beez7777
DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS!

'nuff siad

the video
vniow is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 04:48 PM   #17
sparkleytone
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to sparkleytone
Re: Hard to beat

Quote:
Originally posted by sturm375
As much as I dislike MS's tactics, I have to hand it to them. Win2K, and XP are by far the most stable platforms I've seen, if you take into account the vast variaty of hardware they support.

Linux is great, but it is slow to adapt to newer hardware.
As far as pure stability over a range of hardware goes, Linux wins that race hands down. I can run Linux on just about any machine from a 386 to today's P4/Athlons. Not to mention Sparc, PPC, Alpha hardware. m$ cant touch Linux when it comes to this.
sparkleytone is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 05:00 PM   #18
King Cobra

Send a message via AIM to King Cobra
Not original, but I found out a couple of "problems" with Windoze, one by word of mouth.

Anyways, I know someone, who experiences problems typing in numbers with Excel 98. He got a date, or something, instead of "1". A few minutes into the fustration, he gets the famous "illegal operation" message, and Excel quits. Turns out that some people didn't plan for Y2K.

Also, at class today, one of the computers, running Windows NT4, took about 5 minutes to log in someone, and required an emergency log out to log out, which took about a minute.

I'm still reminded of the old favorite Windows satire, brought up a while ago. At least the person experiencing Y2K can relate better now.

http://www.surfersonacid.com/pages/winrg.html
King Cobra is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 05:05 PM   #19
beatle888
Banned

Talking

oh my god what is that video lmao

ok so anyway...i though that xp pro was really
stable...i know some people that run it and they
love it. and this brings us to something that we
cant deny. XP Pro is kick ass. Stable and works
with LOADS AND LOADS of different hardware.

Last edited by beatle888; Oct 24, 2002 at 05:09 PM.
beatle888 is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 05:30 PM   #20
solvs
macrumors 601

Re: Re: Focus is different

Quote:
Originally posted by edvniow

As for Windows itself, don't really like it, don't really hate it, just sorta tolerate it, it gets what I need it to so quickly and effeniently, though I would gladly replace it with something a bit more trustworthy.

To be honest, I don't know anybody that actually likes Windows, they're sorta like me, they just tolerate it.
Sux that there's no actual likable, user-friendly OS within my price range.
Exactly. Nobody likes Windows. They just sort-of tolerate it. I have Win2000 (98 kept crashing, ME is just plain bad), but I refuse to get XP. Having played with it, when I was offered it for free, I said no thanks.

I wonder if they got those 65,000 KNOWN bugs out of 2000. Of course if you upgrade to Service Pack 3 or WMP 9, you lose practically all of your privacy (they replaced the old security holes with lots more brand new ones).

Can't wait to get my new Mac.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 05:40 PM   #21
medea
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally posted by beatle888
ok so anyway...i though that xp pro was really
stable...i know some people that run it and they
love it. and this brings us to something that we
cant deny. XP Pro is kick ass. Stable and works
with LOADS AND LOADS of different hardware.
Actaully before I switched I was using XP pro, and though in the very begining I thought it was the greatest thing to grace my computer, I soon had plenty o' problems with it and in the end it ruined my computer. I am glad for that though because that's when I got my mac.......

*some issues (but not all) were compatibility with hardware, software, having to reinstall it every month, and in the end it started to boot up "pixelated" and in weird colors. and soon after that my HD crashed.
Solipsist's Creed:
medea is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 05:50 PM   #22
mrpepsi
macrumors newbie

Thought I liked it...

...until I seen OSX.

I'm a sys admin, and when I install windows 2k on a machine in my network I feel like I am racing against a clock to install the updates. Like Mission Impossible or something

I remember once I made the mistake of not updating a fresh install of 2000 server. It was late on a friday and I was only using it to test some new filtering software. I got it setup and left for home...little did I know my network was being hijacked as I drove home.

I was greeted that Monday with email after email from my ISP. We had been hacked and used for DoS attacks. Then came nimda... <shudder>

After a few days of reformatting, reinstalling, patching, getting rid of nimda (with the help of Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition) I swore I'd never leave an unpatched 2k install.....EVER!

I tolerate Windows because OSX won't run on my all PC network. Also I haven't been won over by the performance of the G4. Maybe win the 970 comes out I can begin the Apple shift in my network...
mrpepsi is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 06:01 PM   #23
Nipsy
macrumors 65816

Since a lot of people have mentioned the hardware available on Windows, I thought it important to point out that the Mac is rapidly catching up.

Thanks to being a *NIX OS, there are already drivers which can be tweaked and recompiled for PPC. Via CUPs, we can now print to pretty much anything. El cheapo Adaptec SCSI cards for PCs (the ones that come free with scanners and such) were added to 10.2.

And developers are using OSX, which means when they like something, but can't get it to run, they'll write the appropriate driver. This means the hardware gap will continue to narrow.

Apple will only support a limited subset, which is good, as it means things won't get as bloated or hard to support as in Windows. It also means that if you want to, you can use unsupported (often less expensive) hardware.

On an on topic note, I'll admit that Windows is much better than the olden days, but still clunky, counter intuitive, and visually revolting.
But then again, whereas Apple is being run by a brilliant marketer with the uncanny ability to bend people to his will, Gateway is being run by a man perfectly willing to go on television and show the world that he solicits business advice from a talking cow...
Nipsy is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 06:19 PM   #24
scem0
macrumors 604

Windows is very under-rated by mac users. It isn't that bad of an OS. Don't get me wrong - os x is 10x better, but Windows ins't so bad. Millions of people wouldn't use it if it was so bad.
scem0 is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2002, 06:53 PM   #25
Choppaface
macrumors 65816

I've been using an XP box and OSX side by side now for about six months, and I find that they are equally impressive. before I got the PC, I had only used macs, though I briefly used a laptop that ran win 95 and mostly just used it for games. When I first got the PC, i expected to have a load of problems, and it turned out that I really underestimated it. for what I do, XP works just as well as OSX, though quite a bit faster, and I'm not sure I'm ever going to be able to buy one computer in the future without buying the other >_< he he..... it's just so handy to have both around.
Choppaface is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community