Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Mar 5, 2012, 04:25 AM   #1
Jynto
macrumors 6502

Dual boot Windows 8?

This is purely a hypothetical question at the moment, but I'd like to know if it's possible. Could I install Windows 8 on a jailbroken iPad and dual boot it? If not, then how about installing/emulating iOS on a Windows 8 tablet? Having a device that runs both would be teh awsum!
Jynto is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Jare
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynto View Post
This is purely a hypothetical question at the moment, but I'd like to know if it's possible. Could I install Windows 8 on a jailbroken iPad and dual boot it? If not, then how about installing/emulating iOS on a Windows 8 tablet? Having a device that runs both would be teh awsum!
As South Park once hummed: Dumb, dumb dumb.. dumb!
Jare is offline   -11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:36 PM   #3
Jynto
macrumors 6502

Oh come on, really? What if I asked the question on a Windows forum?
Jynto is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:15 PM   #4
Jare
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Oh come on, really? What if I asked the question on a Windows forum?
Do that then.
Jare is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 03:01 AM   #5
Kauai
macrumors 6502

I for one think that would be awesome, though I doubt it's possible.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 07:23 AM   #6
BubbaJones
macrumors regular

If it were possible, I'd try it...

Not a big fan of Windows (any version), but this type of thing is geeky enough to interest me...

www.myfirstblogproject.info
BubbaJones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 09:53 AM   #7
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Closest I've seen is Win95 with that DOS program that got taken off the app store a couple years ago. You can always use something like splashtop streamer, over wifi it really feels like you are using Win7/8 on your ipad and dont even need to JB.
spinedoc77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:40 AM   #8
elgrecomac
macrumors 65816

Windows 8

Having installed and used win8 on my MBP running fusion ....let me tell you it is a very compelling OS. It is still pre-beta but, boy, it is a very interesting offering.

the kids in Redmond are working in the right direction. But at the end of the day its about apps, and this is the real issue that Microsoft has to address.
elgrecomac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 09:55 PM   #9
3goldens
macrumors 68000

why?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 07:13 AM   #10
anthdci
macrumors 6502

I'll give a serious answer.

It might be possible, but would require a bootrom exploit similar to limera1n so you could control what your booting into. Then it would require you ran the ARM version of windows8 which is separate from the version that has been released which is for the x86 cpu architecture, (such as intel core i5, or amd etc). I think this wont be something you get on a DVD, it will most likely be given to tablet manufactures to build into the device.

Even if you were to get all that, then you need to create drivers to run everything, wifi, bluetooth, graphics, sound and touch screen etc.

So whilst slightly possible, effectively it wont ever happen.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:08 PM   #11
swordfish5736
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to swordfish5736
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthdci View Post
I'll give a serious answer.

It might be possible, but would require a bootrom exploit similar to limera1n so you could control what your booting into. Then it would require you ran the ARM version of windows8 which is separate from the version that has been released which is for the x86 cpu architecture, (such as intel core i5, or amd etc). I think this wont be something you get on a DVD, it will most likely be given to tablet manufactures to build into the device.

Even if you were to get all that, then you need to create drivers to run everything, wifi, bluetooth, graphics, sound and touch screen etc.

So whilst slightly possible, effectively it wont ever happen.

Not that I want it though it could be cool proof of concept.

Once windows 8 tablets start coming out we may see people take the software installers that can be downloaded from Microsoft and find a way.

Plus for drivers and such if a windows 8 tablet has the same type of wifi chip as an iPad it might see it.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:19 AM   #12
ombrenelcielo
macrumors regular

Quote:

I think you need another flavor of tablets if you want to do that.
You are so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3y3QoFnqZc
ombrenelcielo is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:00 AM   #13
Jynto
macrumors 6502

Thanks for your very helpful advice, guys, but it looks like now I won't have to dual-boot if I want the best of both worlds.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/13/s...le-ipad-video/
Jynto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:38 AM   #14
scirica
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Thanks for your very helpful advice, guys, but it looks like now I won't have to dual-boot if I want the best of both worlds.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/13/s...le-ipad-video/
Now that's interesting. Not going to spend $25 on it but I will check it out in the app store. Now that I've read the reviews and app description, epic fail unless you are a Windows 8 user on your homoe or office PC and using this as remote desktop. $50 at full price? Bite me.
scirica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:51 AM   #15
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Now that's interesting. Not going to spend $25 on it but I will check it out in the app store. Now that I've read the reviews and app description, epic fail unless you are a Windows 8 user on your homoe or office PC and using this as remote desktop. $50 at full price? Bite me.
Point of clarification for those who have not read the description

Quote:
Please Note: A PC installed with Windows 8 Consumer Preview is required.
This is just a gesture enabled remote desktop, since there is little hardware available to test Win8's touch interface.

B
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:22 AM   #16
mcsenerd
macrumors regular

Windows 8 is a fine OS (really...i think it's very good) for a dying paradigm that has arrived roughly 4 to 5 years too late to change the crash course that the Redmond Titanic has been on forever...

It won't change the market, and it's not going to suddenly reverse the very evident trend away from traditional OS's that is currently in progress. To echo an earlier comment...it's not the OS that really matters anymore...it'll be all about the apps.

By the way...just watch for upcoming developments from the likes of VMware and others...it's not just desktop OS's that are in death throngs right now.
mcsenerd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:17 AM   #17
Siggen
macrumors 6502

There is actually a decent alternative, haven tried it yet, so I don't know the details about installing apps and such.

I wont go into details about how it works, but sure you can read around about splashtop

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/win8-...514878988?mt=8
Siggen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks