Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:46 AM   #1
bobo911
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
1080p's

How well does the current macbook air's handle the 1080p movies?
bobo911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Romf
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
I have the previous one (with older processor) and it's absolutely fine, big mkvs with 1080p work perfectly. So no worries about the current one
Romf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 02:59 PM   #3
smharm
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ames, Iowa
I agree ive never had any problems playing 1080p files on my machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romf View Post
I have the previous one (with older processor) and it's absolutely fine, big mkvs with 1080p work perfectly. So no worries about the current one
smharm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 09:31 AM   #4
darkheroz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bulgaria
Send a message via Skype™ to darkheroz
Look in other forum threads, some user have troubles playing HD movies via Youtube in Safari. Me too Decision is using Chrome instead.
__________________
2011 Macbook Air 11" 4gb / 128
iPhone 5 FU
Ipad Air
darkheroz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 01:08 PM   #5
gentlefury
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkheroz View Post
Look in other forum threads, some user have troubles playing HD movies via Youtube in Safari. Me too Decision is using Chrome instead.
Best thing to do is install click2flash for safari. Then you can watch the H.264 source files instead of the crappy flash ones!
gentlefury is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 01:38 PM   #6
kdum8
macrumors 6502a
 
kdum8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlefury View Post
Best thing to do is install click2flash for safari. Then you can watch the H.264 source files instead of the crappy flash ones!
Can I use H.264 to watch all youtube videos or just some of them?
__________________
15" MBP 4.1, 2.5 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM 750GB HD, OS 10.8.3 - iPad 3. iOS 6.1.3 - iPad Nano 6G.
Have a question? First run a search!
kdum8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Fuchal
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdum8 View Post
Can I use H.264 to watch all youtube videos or just some of them?
You can do this even without clicktoflash, just by going to youtube.com/html5 and opting in to their html5 player.
Fuchal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 03:42 PM   #8
gentlefury
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdum8 View Post
Can I use H.264 to watch all youtube videos or just some of them?
I havent had one not work

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchal View Post
You can do this even without clicktoflash, just by going to youtube.com/html5 and opting in to their html5 player.
That restricts what videos will play. Some videos are restricted based on advertising....click2flash just goes to the source...regardless of DRM BS.
gentlefury is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:15 PM   #9
darkheroz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bulgaria
Send a message via Skype™ to darkheroz
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlefury View Post
Best thing to do is install click2flash for safari. Then you can watch the H.264 source files instead of the crappy flash ones!
I have problems exactly with click2flash addon !!! With out this app everything is almost fine !!!
__________________
2011 Macbook Air 11" 4gb / 128
iPhone 5 FU
Ipad Air
darkheroz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:16 PM   #10
appleguy123
macrumors 603
 
appleguy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 15 minutes in the future
The screen doesn't have 1080p resolution, but it plays the files themselves fine.
__________________
[Steve Jobs was] brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it. -Barack Obama
appleguy123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:34 PM   #11
2IS
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy123 View Post
The screen doesn't have 1080p resolution, but it plays the files themselves fine.
This is true, but you CAN connect a 1080p TV or monitor to the machine.
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 12:02 AM   #12
kdum8
macrumors 6502a
 
kdum8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchal View Post
You can do this even without clicktoflash, just by going to youtube.com/html5 and opting in to their html5 player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlefury View Post
I havent had one not work

Useful to know thanks, the main reasons I have problems with my mac is due to flash. It is awful.
----------



That restricts what videos will play. Some videos are restricted based on advertising....click2flash just goes to the source...regardless of DRM BS.
Are you saying that I wont be able to watch videos that have advertising attached if i opt-in, or just that I wont be able to see the advertising?
__________________
15" MBP 4.1, 2.5 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM 750GB HD, OS 10.8.3 - iPad 3. iOS 6.1.3 - iPad Nano 6G.
Have a question? First run a search!
kdum8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 03:20 AM   #13
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030
 
NutsNGum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdum8 View Post
Are you saying that I wont be able to watch videos that have advertising attached if i opt-in, or just that I wont be able to see the advertising?
You don't see the advertising as it relies on the flash player, but the video is still available in most cases.

Some videos are not available with the H.264 player, though this is mostly not the case, it still happens from time to time.

In my experience, click to flash breaks a few sites on Safari, Soundcloud never works properly, for example. YouTube is pretty hit or miss also.

I mostly use Chrome by default anyway, as it's still a Webkit browser, and it's slightly faster at page rendering than Safari.
NutsNGum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 03:53 AM   #14
kdum8
macrumors 6502a
 
kdum8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
You don't see the advertising as it relies on the flash player, but the video is still available in most cases.

Some videos are not available with the H.264 player, though this is mostly not the case, it still happens from time to time.

In my experience, click to flash breaks a few sites on Safari, Soundcloud never works properly, for example. YouTube is pretty hit or miss also.

I mostly use Chrome by default anyway, as it's still a Webkit browser, and it's slightly faster at page rendering than Safari.
Great thanks for that comprehensive answer. I have opted-in and will give it a try. No-advertising is a huge bonus actually.

I use 3 browsers,: Safari, Firefox and Opera. Opera overall has the best functionality, but no-matter what they say it has always been buggy for me on the mac and I can't rely on it. Safari is pretty good these days too.

I tend to watch youtube videos fairly frequently and flash rarely fails to lock-up my computer, or see the cpu temps jump to 100 degrees celcius. Always flash is the culprit. The sooner someone kills flash and replaces it with something better the sooner.
__________________
15" MBP 4.1, 2.5 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM 750GB HD, OS 10.8.3 - iPad 3. iOS 6.1.3 - iPad Nano 6G.
Have a question? First run a search!
kdum8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iTunes 1080p vs. YouTube 1080p TheRealPorkpie Apple TV and Home Theater 3 May 10, 2013 04:45 PM
1080p mkv to 1080p mp4 pavlik Digital Video 11 Apr 28, 2013 08:35 AM
iPhone 5 can "record" in 1080p, but how to upload in 1080p? gamecube117 iPhone 2 Oct 28, 2012 12:54 AM
1080p trevnod1999 iOS 6 11 Oct 4, 2012 10:30 AM
ATV3 not showing 1080p, TV/amp. fully supports 1080p King Mustard Apple TV and Home Theater 16 Aug 26, 2012 02:53 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC